Friday, August 2, 2013

Giving Frames a Second Life

Right now our design policy is "make do with what we have". We were so fortunate to be able to buy this wonderful home and we made some serious investments the past several months. They have all been totally worth it, especially that pricey, but amazing new air conditioning system. Unlike fiance starts his new job and I resume my work in the fall however, our income is limited and so our expenses need to be as well. That means we can't splurge on new, ornate picture frames for now. If that's not an example of first world problems, I don't know what is. Anyway, I decided to try and breathe some new life into our old frames so that they at least looked decent in our new home.

Up first, this large black mirror. It used to hang above my fire place, but now I plan to use it in the dining room. I think I'll need some art on either side. What once seemed like such a large mirror, now seems relatively tiny. Either way, the black wasn't going to work anymore. So I started by putting down frog tape around the edge of the mirror.


Then I taped down brown paper over the top of the the tape. The two layers of tape really help things stay sealed.


Of course, no project is complete without Winston's assistance. Scraps are obviously toys.



Then, I spray painted the mirror with a mahogany stain spray paint. it's not perfectly wood-looking, but it works.


We haven't hung it yet, but I think it will add some nice dimension to the room.


Then, while I was at it, I spray painted the frame for this picture. Apparently, I didn't get a before picture. It was a creamish color. First, I spray painted it gold. Then I rubbed some Old English on it to get an antiqued look.




Ideally, I would like a chunkier, more antique-looking frame on this wall. But for now, it works great. The painting was fiance's grandmother's, so it has extra meaning. I really love when art is handed down or has sentimental value. Makes it so much better. The painting really needs some company in this room, but I'm getting there.

Finally, we did buy a frame for what we affectionately call "the lady painting". It didn't have a frame, so there wasn't anything to make do with. I ordered it from an online company called Frames USA. It was only about $30, and I attached it to the frame myself. So I definitely reduced the assembly price and got a good deal.


We hung it opposite a little mirror, which balances out the room nicely. Eventually, I'd like to have some big art over the white couch, so the painting can serve to delineate the different zones of the room.



Even though we had all of this art already, it feels like such a huge improvement to get some stuff hung on the walls. Really makes the house feel like home. I know I sound like a broken record, but it just couldn't be more true. Happy weekend! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!