Friday, August 16, 2013

Author Recommendation: Sarah Dunant

This post isn't so much a book review, as it is an author review. I just finished Blood and Beauty by Sarah Dunant and couldn't wait to tell you about it. It's such an incredible mixture of history, romance, politics, religion, art, and family drama. The Borgias really make modern family drama seem tame. It almost goes without saying that I couldn't put it down. I'm pretty much lost to the world when I'm in a good book and fiance didn't really hear from me until it was done. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really needed to tell you about the author.

I've read all four of Sarah Dunant's historical fiction works and I've loved them all.

First, there was The Birth of Venus.


Then, In the Company of a Courtesan.


Next, I read Sacred Hearts.


And finally, I finished Blood and Beauty this week.


Now, obviously I'm inclined to like these sorts of books as I love historical fiction. But the thing I find so amazing and refreshing about Dunant is that the books are so different and all so good. Sure, most of them have the common theme of Italy in there one way or another, but other than that they are all unique. Unlike, the books written by Phillipa Gregory, these all really stand alone and clearly involved enormous research, time and effort. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Other Boleyn Girl long before it was popular, but then Gregory rattled off dozens more books that seemed forced and attempted to recreate the magic of her major success by clinging to the English monarchy.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, you should read these books. Pick one, any one. You won't be disappointed. And perhaps the most exciting news for me is that Dunant is going to write another Borgia book. The clue was written in the very end of the historical note, but apparently Blood and Beauty is the first of two Borgia novels. I will be buying it on the first day it comes out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!