Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Why the Hatred?

Usually I try and keep the subjects on this blog light and fluffy. I figure you all probably don't visit my site for intense, theoretical, intellectual debates. I'm not sure I could provide them anyway. But I guess I got teased one too many times over the last few days and I need to say my piece. Feel free to skip this post if it isn't your jam and come back tomorrow for more light-hearted fare. I don't mind. I just need to get my thoughts out.

The topic: the royal baby. It seems to me that there are a lot of people who genuinely enjoy spreading negativity. They relish the news stories about murders and rape. They follow every moment of every heinous trial. But when a positive news story comes along, say for example, the birth of a healthy baby boy, all hell breaks loose. Heaven forbid people show interest in the future King of England! The horror!

I am obviously writing with a great deal of sarcasm, but in all due seriousness, why are people so hateful towards other people. Can't I watch what I want to watch? Is it really hurting anyone that I read a few news stories and watched some live coverage? I didn't take food out of anyone's mouth, I certainly didn't physically harm anyone. If I was watching a Real Housewives show or The Bachelor or even Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, people would chuckle and probably shake their heads at my guilty pleasure. So it's ok for me to watch a family that takes pride in ignorance and butcher of the English family, but I can't pay attention to an innocent baby that will actually be somebody someday? I don't say anything to you when you watch your silly programs, don't say anything to me.

Next, all the hate towards the baby itself. The baby has been alive for 24 hours. What could it have seriously done to harm anyone? It's a baby for crying out loud. Leave the poor thing alone. A friend of mine astutely pointed out that those that clamor the loudest that all live is sacred seem to be the first to throw verbal slurs at this newborn. The hypocrisy is so obvious there, I don't even know where to start.

Finally, showing interest in the British monarchy does not make me less of an American. I pay my taxes on time, I vote in every election, I decorate for the 4th of July and say thanks for the amazing country I live in. I cry during the National Anthem. Every time. I am writing a dissertation on American history. I don't think it's fair for anyone to arbitrarily decide who is a good American or not (obvious exceptions like treason). No one should make those judgments, but certainly not based on what tv show I watch.

Obviously my hurt feelings over this issue are a tiny matter. And really not important. But I do think that this whole debacle points to a larger trend in society. If people took half of the time they spent spewing hate (towards the royal baby, towards celebrities, towards any stranger really), and instead directed it towards a positive good, wouldn't that be a much better use of time and energy? Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!