Monday, July 15, 2013

Per His Request

As promised, I have some recipes for you guys this week. Fiance almost never makes outright requests. At least unprompted. If I ask for his input, he gives it freely, but he almost never just says "please make this" out of the blue. So when he does, I try and fulfill his request. The other day he asked for banana nut muffins. I asked if the banana flaxseed bread would be ok, but he really wanted muffins and I wasn't sure I could make the bread into muffins. Instead, I found this recipe on epicurious for oat bran and banana nut muffins. Not only were they easy and fairly healthy, but they were delicious. Not too sweet, moist and super delicious. I particularly like the inclusion of pecans. I'm usually not a big fan of nuts in my baking, but I definitely like pecans better than walnuts and I think the nuts really make the dish.

Quick Oat Bran and Banana Nut Muffins
recipe from here
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled, chopped (I used three relatively small bananas, the bananas add much-needed moisture, so don't skimp)
1 cup chopped pecans

Start by whisking together your flour, bran, sugar, baking powder and salt.










Then, in a separate bowl, mix together your milk, melted butter, egg whites and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined.






Chop your bananas and 1/2 cup of the pecans, add them to the bowl, and stir again. Scoop your mixture into your paper-lined cupcake tin. I used 1/4 cup scoop and it worked perfectly.




Sprinkle the rest of the pecans on top.











Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Mine took 19 minutes. You want a toothpick to come out clean.








Let cool completely on a wire rack, then enjoy! These would be a great breakfast, snack, or even a post-dinner treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!