Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Muffins

No really! They are! Under 150 calories a muffin! And they taste super decadent and fudgey. If that's not a magic trick, I don't know what is. I chose these for my book club meeting because I thought they would go nicely with the brunch theme and are easy to serve. I was a bit skeptical about the recipe all the way along. The batter seemed runny and I wasn't sure how much it would rise. But I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely make these again. I'm pretty sure people wouldn't know that there isn't any real sugar or butter in these if you didn't tell them. So shhhh, it will be our secret.

Healthy Chocolate Muffins
recipe from here
1 3/4 cup oats
3 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup baking stevia or 1 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Start by putting everything except the chocolate chips in your cuisinart or blender. Just to be careful, I blended everything and then added the hot water and mixed again because I didn't want the eggs to scramble. Blend for about a minute or two under the mixture is smooth and the oats are mostly broken down. Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Pour your batter into a twelve muffin tin. I always use liners and then spray over the top. Especially when I'm trying a new recipe and I don't know how much they will rise. If you aren't going to spray, take out the paper liner and only use the tin foil ones. The paper ones stick a little too much. You want your cups to be completely full. As you can see, mine weren't quite full all the way up because I was scared about the rising potential. Well, these don't rise much, so make sure you use all of your batter (I had a little extra).

Bake your muffins for ten minutes at 350. Take the tin out of the oven and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin as quickly as you can (while still being safe!). Return your muffins to the oven for another 5-10 minutes. I think mine needed about 7. You will want to insert a toothpick and make sure the muffin feels firm. It won't ever come out completely clean, so don't try or you will overcook your muffins. Instead try and feel for done-ness. The muffins should feel slightly firm and dry, rather than mushy. Does that make sense? I hope so.

I guess I got to excited about taking these to my meeting and forgot to take a final picture. This one I just happened to snap on my phone. I let the muffins cool almost completely in the tin and then transferred them to a wire rack. These keep really well for several days in an airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!