Friday, July 12, 2013

Bedroom Updates

I just realized all of my posts this week have been house related. Oops. Usually I strive for a balance, but I guess this week I was focused! Next week I'll have a few cooking recipes to share, but until then, I want to share with you the story of our bedroom.

As of a couple days ago, it was probably one of my least favorite rooms in the house. I didn't dislike it mind you, I just didn't like it either. It felt very unfinished, uncomfortable and cold. While I initially loved the blue, it was feeling overpowering. Then, our dining room arrived this week. Why does that matter you ask? Great question. Fiance's mom gave us one of her old rugs, which is a beautiful, antique, hand-woven rug. We put it in the dining room for the time being because that room sees a lot of traffic and we wanted to protect the floor. But we always thought it would be better in the bedroom, both in terms of style, and protecting the rug from cat play and eventually puppy play.

Plus, I had my heart set on a different rug for the dining room. That post is coming soon, I promise. Anyway, once that rug arrived, we moved the antique rug upstairs. It made a world of difference. The room is like night and day.

Here is the rug. Beautiful right?


While I'm at it, I realized I never showed you the furniture we got for this room. Another oops. We picked up these two side tables off of craiglist. They aren't real wood, but they are a nice veneer and are a great size. We still need a lamp for this side. But you can see that the rug comes out past the bed. Which is glorious in the morning when you don't want to put your tootsies on the floor.


We wanted to get cheap bedside tables to balance out the dresser we got. Technically, it's a buffet, but it works perfectly here. We have sweaters and jeans in the cabinets on either side and it's just gorgeous.


Here's a close up of all of it's antique-y goodness. It wasn't a steal, but it was the same price as the cheapest dresser at one of the nicer big box stores. And it's real wood and looks about 1000 times better, in my humble opinion.


We still desperately need a headboard. It would visually balance out this side of the room and add some much needed interest to that wall.


This reading nook is probably one of my favorite details. We just used the old, white slipcover from my previous apartment and a lamp we had. Probably needs some new pillows, but it works for now. 


I think the previous picture also shows how the rug balances out the wall. We needed something rather dramatic to balance out the rich color on the wall. That sounds counter-intuitive, but it was a good lesson for me. Because now I love this room. It feels sophisticated, but still relaxing. Up next is tackling the blind situation. As you can see we hung blinds, but they are defective. So new ones are coming. I'll fill you in on that saga later. Happy Friday to you! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!