Friday, June 7, 2013

Rugs Galore

When we first moved into the home, we talked about some of our priorities. As easy as it would be to just order everything from the Pottery Barn catalog, that isn't an option. I don't know who has the money to just furnish everything right away. Maybe Ellen DeGeneres. Have you seen her recent project? The decor isn't totally my style, but the property. Be still my heart. Maybe one day fiance and I will own property like that. As long as it comes with horses. Le sigh. But that day isn't today. As it is, we are incredibly fortunate and feel so lucky to own a home at all.

To be honest, I don't even really want to buy all of our furnishings from one place. I do love practically everything in PB catalog, but I prefer to try and create a layered look. However, we decided certain things really needed to be purchased sooner rather than later. Aside from the obvious, like dressers so fiance isn't living out of a suitcase pile of clothes on the floor, rugs were pretty close to the top of the list. One of the things we love so much about this home is the original floors. The previous owners had them recently refinished and they are in stunning condition. We don't want to cover them entirely, but they needed some protection. Especially the high traffic areas. So on a search we went. We plan to get a puppy in the fall (read this sentence while picturing me jumping up and down with excitement like a crazy lady), so we didn't want to buy an vintage/antique, super precious rugs. Too much potential for heartbreak. But I also didn't want to settle for anything that we didn't like, just because we wanted to buy something cheap and quick. We are super lucky that fiance's mom brought us a beautiful antique rug, so that was one we didn't have to buy. We are putting that in the bedroom, because the colors will go well and it will be far away from tiny puppy teeth.

That left the living room, the dining room, the study and the entry way. Up today is the entry way (even though that's not the order we bought them). We actually bought the living room rug first, but it's messy and I don't feel like tidying up in order to take pictures. There will be a spoiler alert though. Be warned. So anyway. We had the hallway painted a darker grey, which I shared last week. See that progress here. And we had the living room rug. I wanted something neutral, but I also wanted a larger scale pattern. And it couldn't be sisal, because then we would be essentially buying Winston a very expensive, nine foot scratching post. That definitely was a bit limiting. Also limiting was the fact that I had a pretty specific image in mind about what I wanted. Poor fiance. We looked a bunch of places and finally settled on, you guessed it, Pottery Barn. I fell in love with the Scroll Tile Rug in Mocha. Luckily we had a giftcard and a 10% off coupon. But it still was a bit of a splurge for a runner. Now that it's arrived, I couldn't be happier and I'm so glad we went with the rug we really love.

Can I just say for a second, I love my windows. The natural light is incredible. But man, do they make picture taking difficult!



Sorry about the chaos on the table. Believe it or not, this is actually clean. With so many projects to do at all times, it's hard to put away the tools.



In case anyone is wondering, Winston is a big fan.


Here are the two rugs as they appear in the house together. I think the colors go really nicely together and since the pattern on the left is small, and the one on the right is large, there isn't too much chaos.


If I get my act together, I'll clean today and take pictures of the other rugs to share next week. I suppose I really ought to, but it will require a lot of effort. We also bought a couch. I should photograph that too. Or maybe I'll just share my fish taco recipe instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!