Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One Heck of a Cupcake

On the subject of exceeded expectations, this recipe did just that. I wanted to make a fruit based dessert and it needed to be easy to transport. Half of the goods were staying with my dad for father's day and half were going to friends. I pinned this recipe ages ago and stumbled upon it when I was looking through my old pins for inspiration. I narrowed it down to four options, but quickly ruled out two recipes because they were cakes. As much as I love cake, they lose their appeal once they are cut in half. So I narrowed it down to two cupcakes. I knew I wasn't going to have a chance to test these recipes ahead of time, and since I was taking them out to friends, I wanted to go with the recipe I trusted. These cupcakes are from Bon Appetit and they did not disappoint. They blew me away. Try them. Immediately. Oh, and I should mention- they are pretty darn cute.

Blueberry Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
recipe from here
Cupcakes:
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or low-fat yogurt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, frozen for 4 hours

Frosting:
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple sugar (I used one of those small containers you'd buy in the cookie decorating section. I think it was about 2 ounces and it worked out just fine)
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 teaspoons (or more) whole milk
1 cup chilled fresh blueberries

Fresh mint sprigs (optional)

Start by whisking together your dry ingredients.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter and oil.


Add the eggs and mix again.


Add the buttermilk, vanilla, milk and lemon peel.


Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix with a spatula until just combined. Add your frozen blueberries and stir until combined. Hint: the easiest and fastest way to freeze blueberries is to spread them out on a cookie sheet. They will freeze solid in about two hours.


Fill 24 liners about 2/3 of the way full. I have a two tablespoon ice cream/cookie dough scoop and I did two scoops for each.


Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.


Immediately remove the cupcakes and let cool completely on a cooling rack. Once the cupcakes are cool, beat together the powdered sugar, butter, maple sugar, vanilla, and salt.


Add four teaspoons of milk and beat until smooth. If the frosting is too stiff, add one teaspoon at a time until it's the right consistency. There will be small maple sugar granules. That's ok. It may not look like a ton of frosting, but it's deceptive. You want to pile the frosting pretty high. I had a lot left over and may or may not have eaten my weight in frosting.


Here are all of my decorated lovelies.
 

You don't really want to eat the mint. But it adds a nice little touch of green and really makes the look.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!