Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spring Pinterest Challenge: Chocolate Marshmallow Cups

This post could really be titled: Taking Care of Many Things with One Post. I always like to participate in Sherry and Katie's pinterest challenge, but this season was a bit of challenge. I actually have too much house stuff going on! It was hard for me to stop and do a little decor item when we are still unpacking. It didn't seem fair or right. But, I also am making all the desserts for my sister-in-law to-be's bridal shower this weekend. As all good bakers know, a big event is NOT the time to try a new recipe. So I needed to test the recipes I planned to use. One of the recipes was for chocolate marshmallow cups (think homemade mallomars). I found the original recipe through pinterest here. The announcement of the latest pinterest challenge was just the right encouragement I needed to try these babies out for the big day. Thus, two birds with one stone!

Here is my inspiration picture.


Chocolate Marshmallow Cups

16 ounces (454 grams) quality dark chocolate, chopped or chips
8 ounces (227 grams) quality milk chocolate, chopped or chips
2 1/2 teaspoons (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
1 cup (200 grams) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 + 1/4 cups (138 ml, 4.5 fl oz) water, divided


Note: I read the recipe wrong and did 16 ounces dark chocolate and 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate. Pretty sure it would have been even better if I had followed the directions. Whoops.

First, I measured out my chocolate. I used our kitchen scale and I'd highly recommend picking one up. They are pretty cheap at Target and make a huge difference, especially for solids. If I had measured 8 oz of chocolate using a measuring cup my amounts would have been all wrong.


Then I heated the chocolate over a double boiler until it was melted. As an aside, I really have to apologize for some of my pictures. I'm still getting used to my new kitchen and I guess it distracted me. So a few of the pictures are unforgivably fuzzy. Like this one...


Next, I spooned some chocolate into candy cups. I ordered mine on Amazon. I think I got 250 for like $8.00? Whatever it was, it was cheap. I'd recommend placing them in a mini muffin tin for stability, but if you don't have one, just double up on the candy cups. Two worked nicely. Whatever you do, make sure you have a baking sheet down because this process isn't clean.



I had to experiment a bit, but I developed a good process. Using the smallest spoon you have, spoon a little glob of chocolate into the cup. Then I used a mini frosting knife. One of those ones with a flat edge. While slowly turning the paper cup, I used the knife to gradually push chocolate up the sides. You probably want to push the chocolate up about 3/4 of the way up the side. Maybe a bit more, but not all the way to the top. Most of the chocolate will fall back down, but some will stay and you will be left with a little well in the center. I found it easiest to spoon the chocolate into a row of cups, then push the chocolate up for that row, then move on to the next four. You want to move quickly, but you don't have to rush. Chocolate stays liquid for longer than you would think. Note: Next time I'll be a little more stingy with the chocolate. My ratio of chocolate to marshmallow was a little to heavy on the chocolate side.


Next came the marshmallow process. Everyone is always talking about how finicky chocolate is. I disagree. Caramel? Yes, a total pain in the bum. Marshmallow? The WORST (especially without a stand mixer). But chocolate isn't that bad. Anyway, as you can tell, marshmallow and I don't always get a long. It's just such an arm workout to make it without a stand mixer (eighteen months until we get married and I get my stand mixer. If you couldn't tell, I'm counting down the days). Start by sprinkling the gelatin over 1/4 cup of water in a large bowl or the large bowl of your standing mixer. Next, combine the sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small sauce pan. Turn on the heat to medium and stir until it starts to boil. Stop stirring and stick in your candy thermometer. Cook until it registers at 235 degrees.


Add the sugar mixture to the gelatin mix and beat on low for about 30 seconds. Turn the speed up to medium and beat for five minutes. Then add the vanilla and salt and beat for about two more minutes, or just before soft peaks form. Note: I had to beat mine four minutes, instead of two. I blame the hand mixer. I'd also only use one teaspoon of vanilla, but that's your call. Next time I'll also beat mine a bit longer. You want to be able to pipe the stuff, but mine was a little runny and hard to control.


Once the marshmallow is done, pour it into a piping bag or a plastic bag and cut of the tip. Note: cut off a very small tip because the stuff is runny and you want control. Pipe marshmallow into the center of your chocolate cups. Ideally, you don't want the marshmallow to cover the top of the chocolate shell. You want the top and bottom parts of the chocolate to meet. So the deeper the well you can make for the marshmallow, the more marshmallow you can include without ruining the outer chocolate shell.


At this point, you want to revisit your chocolate. If it's still melted proceed. If it's a bit thick, just put it back on top of the double boiler for 30 seconds or so. You don't want to overcook it, but you want it to be runny and spreadable. Using your small spoon, spoon a bit more chocolate on top of your marshmallow. Again, next time I will be more stingy because I think my cups needed less chocolate.


Also, I ran out of chocolate. Just another reason I need to use less. The naked marshmallow cups still tasted delicious though.


Let the cups cool and harden for at least an hour or more. Store in an airtight container.


Despite all of the changes I plan to make, this recipe was actually quite the success. The cups were delicious and even though the process requires some time and patience, it's actually not that hard. I included my notes so you'll know what I plan to do next weekend, but if you'd rather have a chocolate punch, you can just follow the original recipe. Enjoy! Be sure to check out all of the awesome projects!


I hope you enjoyed this post! If you would like to see more posts like this one, head over to my new blog at withamour.com.

4 comments:

  1. Mallomars are my favorite! So happy I stumbled upon your post on BowerPower! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad you found it too!

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh. yumm.

    well.. there goes my good eating habits for today. :)

    // justynn

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!