Friday, May 24, 2013

Mother's Day Apple Spice Bundt Cake

For Mother's Day, we used the equipment left over from the bridal shower and made quite a spread for brunch. We still had the tent, chairs, table, linens and flowers, so my sister, my sister-in-law to-be, and I just made a bunch of food and we all sat outside. It was unbelievably peaceful and lovely.

I was tasked with the breakfast sweets and decided to try this Apple Spice Bundt Cake posted by my dear friend Kristin. It was absolutely delicious and incredibly moist, even if I did have a little difficulty with the removal process.

Other than the few minutes it took to grate the apples, this recipe couldn't be any easier. You could also chop the apples if you like bigger chunks, or perhaps use a special grater or your food processor? Anyway, you should definitely give it a try. I found it to be a great brunch dessert. I popped it in the oven, showered and was ready in time to glaze it! Thanks to Kristin for the amazing recipe!

Apple Spice Bundt Cake
recipe from here

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 t. vanilla
3 apples, cored, peeled, and diced or shredded
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t. to 1 T. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup milk (add more to thin glaze, if needed)

I started by mixing together the flours, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
Then I  whisked together the oil, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. I added the dry ingredients and mixed together with a spatula until combined. Don't worry if it's dry. Then I grated the the apples and added those and the pecans. Once you add the apples, the mixture is plenty wet.
See? Make sure you really grease and flour your pan. I only sprayed and perhaps that was part of my problem.
Bake at 300 for 50-60 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. I only did five and only half of the cake came out. I was able to do some repairs, but still, not the prettiest.
I mixed together the glaze and was hoping that would cover up the errors.
It didn't.
So I improvised and covered the whole thing with powdered sugar.
That helped a little bit. It may have not been my prettiest creation, but boy was it tasty. The leftovers were also incredible cold. This cake will be made again.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! Yeah, I had to really spray my bundt pan to get it to come out clean. I have that problem with most bundt recipes.

    I'm so, so, so glad that the original recipe worked for you. So many people keep commenting that the batter is too dry so they keep adding milk and stuff. I keep assuring them that the original is AMAZING - moist, dense, and perfect! Glad you agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible! I grated my apples and that seemed to release a lot of the moisture since I did it over the bowl. Maybe they chopped their apples on a cutting board and so lost a lot of the moisture the apples needed to contribute? Either way, I loved it and will make it again!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!