Monday, May 20, 2013

Margaret Mitchell's Butterscotch Brownies

My great-grandmother, Margaret Mitchell Watkins, had some amazing recipes. I think it's pretty awesome that my middle name comes from her maiden name (Mitchell) and I love to bake. It makes me feel very connected to her in some special way.

This recipe is a little finicky. I've had some difficulties in the past making the recipe work, but my mom makes these brownies all the time and has the process perfected. So she helped me and now I have it down too! I've included my notes and if you follow them very closely, you should be fine.

Butterscotch Brownies
1  6 oz. package of butterscotch chips
¼ cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
¼ tsp. vanilla
¾ cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts


You must use parchment paper. Must. It is not optional. You can either have the tabs come up over two sides or four. Then spray the heck out of the pan.
In a double boiler, melt together the butterscotch chips and the butter over low heat. Use a wooden spoon- this step is very important! Then add the brown sugar and once mixed in, turn off the heat. Let the mixture cool for five minutes.
Pour the sugar/butterscotch mixture into a bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Then, using your spoon, beat the mixture 40 times. Count. It will turn all shiny and smooth.
Pour the mixture into the pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes for a 9 inch pan and 35 for an 8 inch pan. I'd suggest you check after about 28 minutes and then go two more minutes at a time.
 It's a little hard to tell when these things are done. Because if you pull them out too early, the center sort of collapses. You can use a toothpick, but my mom sort of tests with her finger. She just pushes very gently to see if it's sort of firm. The outside will be a bit more crispy, which is still super tasty. Let the brownies cool for about ten minutes or so and then cut around the outside and flip over.

You can see how I cut the brownies into small squares. These brownies are super rich and so should be cut into relatively small portion sizes. They freeze super well, so you can save them for a really long time. Although I doubt if you will be able to resist. These puppies are addictive! From my family to yours, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!