Friday, May 31, 2013

A Salad for Popeye

I'm not much of a salad person. I'm just not. Practically the only salads I will eat willingly are spinach based or so totally doused in toppings the lettuce is invisible. I found this recipe on pinterest and thought it would be a good option for nights when I want to eat healthily. They don't come very often, but when they do, I like to be armed and ready.

This salad couldn't be easier to make and is perfect for summer when it's hot and you don't want to turn on the stove or oven. Fiance even liked it and he generally isn't a raw spinach person. I will be making this as regularly as he will tolerate. That's how much I like it. I can't encourage you enough to try it.

Spinach Salad with all the Fixings
recipe from here
SALAD:
8 cups chopped spinach (1 bag)
1 cup halved cherry or pear tomatoes
1/2 cup corn (I used frozen and just followed the microwave instructions)
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I probably used closer to 2 cups)
1 large avocado, sliced
1/3 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese (I used about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (I used about 1/3 of a cup)

DRESSING:
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 tablespoon Dijon mustard (but I like my dressing extra tangy, feel free to change it up)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

As you can see, I made some changes. Feel free to switch up the amounts to suit your tastes.


I started by laying out a bed of spinach in a big bowl. You can chop it if you want, or just leave the leaves whole.
I don't know why my camera is taking blurry pictures. It's driving me bananas. They look perfectly fine and then I load them and blast. Anyway, I put all of the ingredients on top of the spinach. You could do this step ahead of time, cover the bowl, and just hold off on the avocado. That way you'd be able to make a great meal for a busy evening or something.

Toss up all the ingredients. I like to leave the dressing on the side so people can add the amount they want. Also, the salad leftovers keep better if the dressing isn't added directly to the bowl.
Add dressing to your personal bowl and toss again.
Something about the goat cheese, avocado and the dressing makes the whole thing really creamy and delicious. Darn, now I want to make it again for dinner tonight. Clearly you need to join this salad party.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!