Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whoopie Pies

This post is so overdue. My apologies. I made these weeks ago for a family member's birthday and then proceeded to leave my camera at my parents' house. I've had it back for about a week, but I've been extra busy and in no mood to write this post. But, some of my work is done, and it was about time. My dear friend Kristin shared this recipe on her blog and they looked so amazingly delicious, I couldn't help myself. A few notes: my first tray or two needed to be cooked a minute or two more. They were tasty and fudgy, but not really traditional whoopie pies. Also, I used a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop and my whoopie pies were adorable and bite-sized. Traditional whoopie pies are a little larger, so if you want yours bigger, just use a larger scoop. The small scoop made 42 whoopie pies. Yes, I counted. It was slightly ridiculous, but awesome because I was able to bring the leftovers to a potluck for class. A smaller scoop would make less, so just plan accordingly. These treats were so delicious and really pretty easy. I had heard that they were hard to make, so I was pleasantly surprised by how easy they were. Also, the recipe calls for marshmallow fluff. I don't know the last time I bought the stuff. But the filling is amazing, so don't skip it!

Whoopie Pies
recipe from here

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup water
1 cup buttermilk

Filling:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 cups marshmallow creme
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 t. vanilla extract

Start by beating together the sugar and the butter. I didn't cream mine enough and it came back to bite me in the tushy later. You'll see what I mean. Add the vanilla and the eggs and beat again.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt.
Kristin made the excellent suggestion to combine the buttermilk and water in a large measuring cup. Alternate adding the buttermilk mixture and the flour and mix together. You will need a massive bowl.






Using a scoop, or a spoon, put balls of dough on a greased sheet or use parchment paper. They don't need to be perfect! Make sure you leave space between the balls because they puff up.
You can see how these look nice and fluffy and dry-ish. You don't want them to be dry or shiny. If you touch them, they should be firm. Bake for 5-7 minutes depending on the size at 375.
This photo shows what happens if you don't beat the butter enough. Little clumps melt and ruin the top of your cookie. It still tastes amazing, it just doesn't look as pretty.







Once the cookies are completely cool (cool them on wire racks), beat together the frosting ingredients until nice and fluffy.
Spoon some of the filling on to one side of the cookie and press on the top. I dare you to eat just one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!