Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Winter Pinterest Challenge: Homemade Marshmallow Treats!

It's pinterest challenge time! Yay! I love participating in this tradition started by Sherry and Katie. I try never to miss a season if I can help it. This time, I knew I would be traveling and wouldn't have access to my craft supplies or time at home to complete a home project. So I decided to finally share my marshmallow recipe and take care of two birds with one stone!

Before Valentine's Day, I saw this picture and immediately started to think about how I could make treats for my family and friends...



Then I saw a few pictures that I pinned back before Christmas in which people had dipped their marshmallows...



And I thought to myself, I can definitely create something Valentine's Day-ish based on these ideas. I used the Barefoot Contessa recipe linked off the first pictures and started a few days before I needed them to be done. Marshmallows aren't that hard, per se, but they take a really long time, so plan ahead.


Marshmallows
recipe from here
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Start by dusting a pyrex pan with powdered sugar. Be generous!
In a large bowl (or a standing mixer if you have one), combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup water. Stir a few times to incorporate.
In a sauce pan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Confession: I also added the vanilla here instead of at the end. It turned out ok, but next time I'll try and follow the instructions. Confession two: I didn't get any pictures of the next few steps because I don't have a standing mixture and my hands were full! But you can see the final product. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Add the mixture to your big bowl with gelatin and turn on your mixer. Beat the mixture on high for 15 minutes until the mixture is super thick (think just a bit looser than marshmallow fluff). I had to beat mine 20 minutes using the hand mixer. Add the vanilla at this point.

Pour your mixture into the pan and dust the top with powdered sugar.
Cover the top generously and let it sit for a few hours, then cover, and let dry overnight.
Sprinkle some powdered sugar over a board or a piece of parchment paper. Cut around the outside of your pan and turn over and flip the marshmallow out onto the board/paper. You might have to jiggle it a bit. Using a sharp knife, cut off the edges and cut the marshmallows into squares.
Using my hands, I picked up each marshmallow and dusted off the extra powdered sugar. On the tops, the extra sugar was a bit crusty, so I just rubbed it a bit with my thumb and it came right off. So make sure you have clean hands :). Also, you'll want to dip the freshly cut sides into powdered sugar to get rid of the stickiness.
Melt some semi-sweet chocolate and experiment with dipping. I started off dipping the marshmallows and got some rough looking edges.
So then I moved on to using a small spatula and it worked much better. I just picked up a glob of melted chocolate and spread it along the front, top and sides. Then I added a generous dash of sprinkles.
Once the chocolate is dry, shove the cookie sticks up the marshmallow.










Slides each marshmallow stick into little plastic gift baggies. Using a little piece of ribbon, tie a bow around each stick. Then trim off the extra material of the bottom of the bags.







Enjoy these fun treats! You can mix them up for any holiday by using different colored sprinkles and ribbons. I can see them being adorable for Halloween, Christmas, Fourth of July, you name it! Be sure to check out the other awesome projects shared on Katie and Sherry's sites. I can't wait to see their projects!

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you would like to see more projects like this one, head over to my new blog at withamour.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!