Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Craftiness

Happy Valentine's Day to you all! I feel like it's necessary to start this post by saying usually I'm not a crazy Valentine's Day person. Fiance and I have always done some nice together, and usually I send notes to my family, but I don't go over the top. In fact, I try really hard to show my honey bunches of love how much I appreciate him the other 364 days a years. But it is nice to have a day to remind you how special your special someone is and to shower them with some affection if you've been remiss lately. This year, the thought of it being the last holiday we are going to spend apart made me downright giddy. Dances and wiggles and squeals. We are going to celebrate our special day later this month when we are together, so I can't show you (yet) what presents I whipped up for him (although I'm dying to. I haven't been this pleased with my presents in a long time). So those will have to wait. But, I did make a few crafts for my family and friends that I'll be seeing this weekend. I may have gone the tiniest bit overboard. I really didn't mean to. I started with one little treat and it sort of spiraled from there.

I started off by picking up some paint strips at local hardware stores. I got them in various shades of pink and since I wanted to get several, I went to two different places so as to not be that greedy person that walks out with a massive handful of strips. I trimmed the white strip off the bottom first.
I bought a heart hole puncher and punched a hole in the center of the bottom three colors and then one just below the top.
While at Michael's, I also picked up some narrow red ribbon, which came in quite handy for both crafts.
I slipped the ribbon through the hole and formed a simple knot. I put a tiny dab of hot glue under the loop of the knot just to make sure it would stay secure.
When lodged in a book you just see the cute little pop of red.
But when the book is open you get a full frontal shot of love. Sorry, it's the holiday of love. One dirty joke is mandatory.

I think they turned out super cute and I can't wait to give them to my book-loving family.









On to the second craft. I will share the recipe for these homemade marshmallows next week, I just wanted to show you how I created my little packages. Once your marshmallows have sat out over night, flip them onto a powdered sugar-dusted board or piece of parchment paper. Trim off the rounded ends and slice.
Cut into squares and dust off excess powdered sugar. Again, I'll go into way more detail next week, just giving you the basic steps here.
Then I melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips in a mug and experimented with dipped and brushing the chocolate onto the marshmallows. This picture is of the dipping and you can see how the edge isn't so straight.
I discovered that it was easiest to hold the square in my hand and use a small spatula to cover one end of the marshmallow with chocolate. And then of course douse with sprinkles.
After I let the chocolate cool for a few hours I pushed cookie sticks up into the squares.
Then I put each marshmallow pop into a small treat bag and secured with a piece of the aforementioned ribbon. I had to trim off the ends of the bag because it was a bit long, but I like that I was able to create a pointed end anyway.
Final product! I think they turned out super cute and I am so excited to give them away. They also taste amazing. I had to make sure they weren't poisonous or anything.
And for those of you wondering, yes Winston got a Valentine's day present too. It squeaks and has feathers, which is pretty much all you need to know. That dark blur is his paw, because he won't leave it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!