Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Browned Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I spent the weekend with my family up at our family cabin in the mountains. It was a crazy, busy, fun and food-filled weekend. Per usual, I was responsible for many of the desserts. I brought up the marshmallows I mentioned last week for Friday night and then on Saturday my mom and I made a lemon roll and these new cookies. To be honest, I probably don't need another cookie recipe. I've made tons. But none of those recipes included chocolate and oatmeal. I was pretty excited to find this recipe, because not only do they have these two ingredients, but also have cinnamon and browned butter. The cinnamon and browned butter make such a huge difference and amp up the flavor ten fold. It really adds incredible complexity and everyone kept asking "what am I tasting in these cookies!?!". As if you needed any more convincing, the cookies were gone by Sunday afternoon. Less than 24 hours later. If that's not the best compliment, I don't know what is!

This recipe is incredibly easy, so definitely give it a try!

Browned Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe from here

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2  tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats (not quick-cook)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chunks (I used chocolate chips and it was difficult to incorporate all of the chips into the mix, so next time I'd probably use chunks)

Start by melting the butter in a pan and whisk frequently. Simmer at a low heat until brown bits form in the bottom of the pan. Set the butter aside and let cool completely.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
Once the butter has cooled completely, mix it together with the sugars, egg and vanilla.
Add the oat mixture and mix until combined.
Pour in the chocolate and mix together by hand. Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Using a spoon or measuring scoop, form 1 1/2" balls of dough. Put on a parchment paper-covered pan and bake for about 9-10 minutes at 375. I was at really high altitude and I cooked mine for about 10 minutes. Next time I think I would take them out after 9 because they do harden after cooled.
Let the cookies cool on a rack.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!