Monday, January 7, 2013

The January Cure

So I guess it's officially 2013. There is no turning back to 2012 now, especially since I start my new quarter today. I have come to the conclusion that there are two January options. There is the "it's a new year! here are my goals! I feel so full of optimism and energy! I will accomplish so much this year!" option. See my post from last New Year's to read more about what I'm talking about. I definitely had the January yellows. The January optimism. This year I have the other option. The "oh...it's a new year...already. I have so much to do. There is so much I didn't finish. How am I supposed to do all of this? I have no energy." The January blues.

I've mentioned in the past that I have struggled with anxiety and depression in the past. I call it my little black rain cloud. I think it's something I'll always have to work on, but over the last few years I've developed a conviction that it is indeed something that can be worked on and improved. I'm always keeping an eye out for techniques, activities or strategies to prevent these "episodes" or to try and turn things around if they sneak up on me. The worst thing I can do is nothing and allow myself to sink deeper into the dark whirlpool. I sound positive, but believe me, it's taken me many years to get to this place where I feel powerful enough to handle my moods. And if I'm being totally honest, I'm not always successful. I do get in funks and need Winston or fiance or my mom to snap me out of it.

Anyway, this new year saw a case of the January blues. Fiance and I had a long conversation about all of the things we have to look forward to this year and that definitely helped. In fact, I felt encouraged to make one resolution for the new year. Just one. Not a list like last year. Those sorts of list make me feel guilty when items remain unchecked. This year my task is simple. Or to be more specific, simplicity. I want to remove negativity and focus on positivity. I want to streamline my life. Remove things that make me unhappy, do things that make me happy. Reduce clutter and purge things that I don't love. That means clothing, house items, kitchen stuff, etc. 2013 is the year of purging and organization. I like it.

Then my friend told me about the January Cure. It's Apartment Therapy's program to start your year off on a clean and organized note. Exactly what I need. I started a few days late, but I figure it's better late than never, right! I cleaned a ton on the first and organized, so that's kind of my day three task. I'll share some of those items later. And I got rid of tons of stuff when unpacking from the holidays, so that's progress towards my outbox. Lord knows I have a ways to go. So day 1. Make a list of house projects I want to do this year.

I am moving back to DC this spring/early summer and fiance and I are buying a house, so this list really can only go through the spring. I'm certain I'll have a completely new list in the new house. But until then, here are the things I want to do to embrace simplicity and make my move easier.

1. Clean out my bathroom cabinets and drawers. No I don't need bags and bags of extra makeup I never use. And those headbands. My head looks terrible in them. Keep two in the event a case of whimsy strikes and get rid of the rest.

2. Clean out my unmentionable and sock drawer. It's really absurd the things I've kept. I'll leave it at that.

3. Clean out my closet. If I haven't worn it since I moved to California in August of 2011, donate or throw it away. If I don't love it, it doesn't belong. I need to focus on pieces that will last and work forever.

4. Hang my new piece of homemade art. I'll share later.

5. Organize decorations and ornaments.  Wahoo for finished tasks! More details to come!

6. The papers. My files. Ugh. Worst task ever. They need to be organized and recycled if unnecessary. This task is the one I'm most dreading.

7. Discuss kitchen items with fiance and only keep things we really need and use often.

8. Find a mover.

9. Pack up apartment in a strategic and sensible manner. Don't throw things in boxes. Label precisely. Hope things don't break.

10. Fill nail holes. Sand.

11. Paint walls back to horrible-apartment-white.

12. Create a home out of our new house.

I hope you will all be inspired to join me in the January Cure. I hope it brings you peace and optimism as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!