Monday, January 21, 2013

Lightened-Up Shepherd's Pie

I've committed myself to cooking in a healthy, flavorful way. Fiance has been a great inspiration, because I want to come up with recipes that he likes and will enjoy eating, but will fit our health plans. Not always the easiest feat, but once you know where to look, it's not so bad. Don't get me wrong. There are days I want to eat an entire box of cornbread. But I'm trying not to give into this desire when possible. I found this recipe and was pretty excited to give it a try. My negative notes: this recipe does take up a few dishes and given that my dishwasher is pretty much broken, dishes make me grumpy. Positive notes: the dish is super tasty, cheap, healthy, and great on the calorie bank. As in 174 calories for 1/6 of a large pyrex. No I didn't invert the numbers. 174 calories for a big bowl. The leftovers were also fantastic and froze really well. Perfect for lunches!

Lightened-Up Shepherd's Pie
recipe adapted from here

1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots,chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, divided
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage, divided
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme, divided
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp chicken stock
1 Tbsp potato starch
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1 egg
Salt and pepper, to taste

I started by browning the turkey in a large skillet.
Then I added the vegetables, carrots and garlic and cooked for about 8 minutes, or until the veggies are soft. Then I added the corn, chicken stock, and corn starch and brought the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the fresh herbs. Also add some salt and pepper. Make sure you use fresh herbs, that flavor is really necessary. Set aside.

While you are working on your turkey mix, bring a pot of water to boil. Add the cauliflower and boil for about 8 minutes until soft. You want the cauliflower to be really soft. Put the cauliflower in a large bowl, add a few tablespoons of broth, the egg and mash until soft. I used a fork because I was too lazy to get out my immersion blender. But next time I'll take out that awesome tool because my cauliflower was a bit too lumpy. Add the remaining fresh herbs and some salt and pepper.

Spread the turkey mash all over the bottom of the pyrex. Spread the cauliflower over the top.
Bake the dish for ten minutes at 400 degrees, then turn on the broiler and broil for ten more minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!