Friday, January 11, 2013

Indian-Spiced Chicken with Chickpeas and Spinach

Fiance and I looked through the January Bon Appetit over the holidays and found tons of amazing tips, recipes and tools. Not that I need more clutter in my kitchen. Actually, I need to de-clutter and then buy a few more tools because there are some things a chef/baker should really have. But I digress. This recipe is one of the dishes we picked out to try immediately. It was pretty tasty and had great flavor, but I think I would change a few things in the future. With those changes, the meal will be a total knock-out.

First, I'd use less broth. The dish I used was perhaps a bit smaller than the one in the picture, so the broth came up higher on the chicken and it didn't get the braised flavor as much as I would like. Second, I would use breast meat. I used dark meat to honor the recipe. I try and always honor the recipe the first time I try it before making changes, but my gut instinct was right. Breast meat is less fatty, has fewer calories, and I think it would remain juicy and tender with the braising method. Finally, fiance suggested we pass on rice or quinoa to reduce the carbs. I didn't want to make rice for myself, so I skipped that step, but I think that was a mistake. This dish definitely needs a grain or some roti (a while wheat naan). So, take my tips, and create a masterpiece!

Indian-Spiced Chicken with Chickpeas and Spinach
recipe from here

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6-8 chicken breasts, depending on size, skin removed
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
2 cups (or more) low-sodium chicken broth
5 ounces baby spinach (about 8 lightly packed cups)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems

Heat up the oil and cook the chicken in batches until the chicken is browned on all sides. Remove the chicken to a separate plate. Add the butter and let it melt. Once it's melted, add the sliced onions and cook until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger, and the spices and mix to incorporate. Add the chickpeas, chicken and broth and bring to a simmer. Ideally the brother should cover about half to 3/4 of the chicken (depending on the size of your pot) for it to braise properly. Start with two cups and add gradually from there. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover the pot, and put it in the oven. While the pot is in the oven, make your grain.

Cook the chicken for 45-55 minutes at 325, until the chicken is fork-tender. This term just means you should be able to put a fork into the chicken and remove it easily. Remove the pot from the oven and add the spinach. Stir and let the spinach slowly wilt for about five minutes. Add the yogurt and stir to melt. Add salt or pepper to taste. Serve the chicken mix over your grain and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!