Monday, January 28, 2013

Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner Series: Pesto Pasta with Chicken Apple Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts

This meal was a natural mid-week dinner choice. By which I mean, lately I've been making a big dinner once, maybe twice a week. I eat the leftovers for days and the other nights have oatmeal or cereal. It's quite ridiculous, but I don't want to waste food and I am so over cooking for one. So I made this dinner a few days ago and I'm finishing up the leftovers today. The meal was easy and delicious and the leftovers were tasty both hot and cold. I also loved cooking the Brussels sprouts this way and will do so in the future. As a side note, I also want to try roasting broccoli and cauliflower this way, I bet they'd both be delicious.

Pesto Pasta with Chicken Apple Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
recipe from here

1 lb fresh brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and any yellowed/browned outer leaves removed, then sliced in half
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1 lb (16 oz.) orecchiette (or any pasta, I used whole wheat fusilli because it is what I had in the house, but next time I'd go with orecchiette)
4 chicken sausage links, sliced into 1/4″ thick coins
5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup pesto
Parmesan cheese, for serving

Note: my kitchen light isn't working. I swear this happens wherever I live. I had to use the surface light and the weird hall light. So the pictures are a bit wonky or I'm holding them up so my man hands make an appearance. Try and look beyond this unfortunate reality.


I started by trimming and slicing the sprouts then tossing them with two tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper.








Roast the sprouts at 400 for about 10 minutes, then stir and roast for another 10 minutes. You might need to do a bit longer or shorter depending on the size. You want the outside to be crunchy and slightly browned and the inside to be soft.
While the sprouts are cooking, slice your sausage and cook in the remaining olive oil until browned. Add the sliced garlic and cook for another two minutes or until the garlic is golden.







Cook the pasta and toss it with the sprouts, the sausage, the pesto and up to 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!