Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Cookie Bonanza: Part II

This recipe immediately caught my eye when I saw it on The Baker Chick's website. I've shared my sugar cookie recipe before, which will always be a favorite, but a chocolate option seemed amazing. I thought this recipe would be perfect for a tailgate with tons of men who like chocolate. The white frosting would also be the perfect base for 49ers-themed sprinkles. I absolutely loved these cookies, although they are incredibly rich and decadent. So perhaps not for the faint of heart.

I think they are adorable and round and fluffy. The frosting is very thick (I think I would add another tablespoon of milk next time, just to make it easier to spread). I will be making these babies again.

Soft Frosted Chocolate Sugar Cookies
recipe from here

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (dutch process/Valharona power highly recommended)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
9 Tbsp butter, softened (1 stick + 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Frosting:
12 tablespoons of butter, softened. (1 stick and a half)
4 cups of powdered sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
gel food coloring (optional)

In a small bowl, I whisked together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, I mixed the sugars, sour cream and butter until creamy. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix again.






Add the flour-cocoa mixture and beat until combined. The batter will be thick.
Scoop the dough into balls, or use a cookie scoop. Best. Invention. Ever. My cookie scoop is about 1.5 tablespoons and I was able to make 24 cookies. But you can do as small as one tablespoon or as large as two tablespoons. Place the dough onto parchment. They don't need to be too spread out because the cookies really don't flatten too much. 
Bake for about ten minutes at 350 degrees. The cookies will be done when the outside looks like it's drying. If you touch the cookie, it should be slightly squishy, but not firm. Let the cookies cool completely before frosting.
When you are ready to frost and decorate, beat the butter until it's fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, and beat until mixed. The frosting will be crazy thick. Add the vanilla and milk. I only used one tablespoon, but in the future will use two. Mix again.
Frost the cookies and add sprinkles. My mom gave me this adorable set which would be amazing for fall cookies. Decorations like these would work great for Thanksgiving!







But.....the 49er game was my focus. As you can see, my initial attempts at frosting were less than pristine. Tasty? Yes. Perfect? No.
My frosting definitely got better as I went along and the frosting softened a bit. I still think they are cute as a button! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!