Thursday, November 8, 2012

Slow-Cooker Black Bean and Zucchini Chili

I originally pinned this recipe for fiance. He has been requesting relatively healthy slow cooker recipes and I thought this one would be right up his alley. He ended up making a totally different chili, but I thought I would give it a try. Only one tiny problem, I don't have a slow cooker. I originally bought one for us this summer, but left it in DC. I thought about getting one for out here, but I'm moving over the summer and I figured we would register for a nice one. So I decided to just adapt this recipe for a soup pot. It worked out pretty well. The chili was pretty tasty, although I think it tasted more like stew and not like traditional chili. My final product needed a bit of salt and I really liked it with cut up fresh avocado and a dollop of sour cream on top. The two fresh and cold ingredients really brightened it up, so I definitely wouldn't skip that step in the future. You can definitely make this recipe with a slow-cooker, or go my route. It's pretty flexible, so either way works great!

Slow-Cooker (or not) Black Bean and Zucchini Chili
recipe from here

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used two pounds because that's the size available at the store and I was lazy)
1 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
3 zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder (otpional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
kosher salt and black pepper
sour cream, cut-up avocado, and chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

You'll need to forgive me. I was really hungry when I was making this dinner. I'm pretty sure all of my energy was devoted towards actually making food instead of caving and having Ramen. Anyway, I went to download my pictures and evidently I only caught the final product. I suppose it's better than nothing. But you'll just have to trust my instructions for the various steps.

If you are using a slow-cooker, combine the beef, tomatoes, beans, vegetables, and spices and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours, or on low for 7 to 8 when the veggies are tender. If you are using a pot, chop the onions and put in a large pot. Add the beef and brown until veggies are soft and the meat is cooked through. Add the tomatoes, beans, veggies and spices and simmer covered for about 1 hour or until the veggies are soft and the soup condenses.


Top with chopped avocado and sour cream and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks quite good! There are only two problems with it:

    1) the weather in your area is still a bit too hot for the perfect steaming bowl of chili, and

    2) the chili itself is not nearly hot enough! you forgot the five tablespoons of cayenne pepper and two cups of chopped jalapenos (seeds in, of course) that rightfully belong in this recipe (and in your stomach).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cooler then! And gross! Eww! gross! ewww!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!