Friday, November 2, 2012

Love Letters

As in, I'm loving my new letter-writing machine. Not that I plan to actually use it. I'm afraid I'd break it! I've sloooowly shared my flea market finds over the last few weeks. See the previous posts here and here. Much like the vintage suitcases, I've been coveting an old-fashioned type writer for years. At the fair I saw many options, but none were nearly as old, beautiful or as cheap as this one. Based on some investigation, I was able to determine that this beauty is a Remington Rand Noiseless Model 10. It was built in 1938 and still works!

I brought it up to my apartment- which was no easy feat because it ways about 40 pounds. No exaggeration! Some of the descriptions I found used the words "tank-like". I think it's quite appropriate. Of course Winston needed to investigate the situation immediately.




It needed a little cleaning, the bottom side was quite dirty and probably housed many generations of spiders. But after a little love, I think it will really sparkle.


By really sparkle, I am just assuming. I haven't actually cleaned it yet. I'm afraid of spiders. And their webs. Their evil, evil webs. Gross. Plus, I don't really know how to clean it. I'm pretty sure it would take another set of hands to lift it, while I clean. But, it's gorgeous though right?
 

The keys are still in great shape.


And the brand is still clear.


You can't really see the writing on the front, unless you look from the side and then there is a little reflection left. Anyway, that's how I was able to figure out it was model 10.


And here is the back where the writing is still really clear.


2 comments:

  1. So, as a guy who loves gadgets and gizmos, I have to say this is pretty cool. But as a guy who also loves cleanliness, order and organized storage, I have to say . . . what the hell are we supposed to do with that monster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will help me clean it, then will get super fascinated (because it's a machine, duh) and then it will go in our office and be a beautiful piece of decoration. Obviously.

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!