Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner: Farro Salad with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas

So have you all heard of farro? Apparently a lot of people haven't. Given that my mom's pantry could easily be classified as the newest Whole Foods store, I'm pretty familiar with random grains. She introduced me to this particular option over the summer and I've been searching for it in stores for months. I finally found a bag at the local Nugget and was pretty darn excited. I love farro because it's really healthy and filling and has this amazing flavor and texture. It's not crunchy, but has a good thickness when you bite down. I'm not sure that makes any sense, but it definitely makes you feel like you are eating carbs. Which I need because I love carbs. This dinner was super quick, hence the weekly series classification. It works nicely as a vegetarian main course or a great side option. It's great room temperature or cold, so pretty much any season will work. The leftovers are also super tasty, so it's a great lunch option. My only complaint is that the asparagus browns slightly, so the bright, beautiful colors do fade slightly. But that only really matters for food bloggers who forgot to take a final picture the first night.

Farro Salad with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas
recipe from here
1 1/2 cups semi-pearled farro

12 ounces asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
1 8-ounce package sugar snap peas
12 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped red onion
6 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
1 7-ounce package feta cheese, crumbled

Start by filling a small pot with water. Bring to a boil and then add the farro. Cook for ten minutes then drain. Put the farro in a bowl.
At the same time, bring another saucepan to boil and add the sliced asparagus and sugar snap peas. Cook for about 3 minutes, drain, and add to the bowl.
Add the halved tomatoes, feta, and chopped dill. To be honest, I left out the onion because I didn't want it in there. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar and then pour over the top. Mix to coat everything. Eat the salad right away or let sit for a while to absorb the flavors.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!