Friday, November 16, 2012

Banana Oat Breakfast Muffins

I've struggled with breakfast. I've documented these struggles lately and shared my Apple Cinnamon Crumble Bread as one possible solution. However, I've also mentioned that I'm trying to be healthy and watch what I eat. The Apple Cinnamon Bread could be way worse. That being said, the calorie count isn't fantastic. Fiance and I have been using My Fitness Pal and it is making me keenly aware of how many calories bread eat up of my daily total. But alas, I had several bananas sitting on the counter rapidly ripening and screaming for some sort of baked good. I didn't want to do banana bread, because of the aforementioned calorie issue. So when I found this recipe for healthy banana oat muffins, it seemed like the perfect option.

These muffins were incredibly easy to pull together and are very tasty. They are pretty dense and hearty, so if you are looking for something really sweet, this recipe probably isn't your thing. But the chocolate chips add a nice tough of richness and I've gladly eaten one of these babies for breakfast for several mornings in a row. They are good straight from the fridge, but also very tasty warmed up. I think they'd also freeze pretty well. Give them a shot!

Banana Oat Muffins
recipe adapted from here

3 mashed bananas (the more ripe the better!)
1 cup skim milk
3 packets truvia, or other natural, calorie-free sweetener
2 eggs
1 tbsp baking powder
3 cups Old Fashion or Rolled Oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mash your bananas in a large bowl, then add the eggs, baking powder, oats, vanilla extract, milk and sweetener. Stir until mixed.
Prepare your tin with spray or liners. Once you have the tin ready, add the chocolate chips and stir.
Scoop the batter into the muffin cups, I used a 1/4 cup scoop and it worked nicely. I was able to make 12 muffins.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees, until the edges are slightly browned and the muffins feel firm.
Don't they look yummy!?! And in case you were wondering, these muffins have 144 calories per serving and are super filling. So, I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!