Monday, November 5, 2012

Apple Spice Crumb Bread

Before I share this recipe, I need to give a bit of a blog shout out. I always give credit for recipes, but I feel like I need to go beyond credit and tell you guys about one of my favorite blogs. The Baker Chick is my go-to resource for baked goods. I get tons of dessert and breads recipes from her and with the exception of one mini-disaster that I'm certain was my fault, they have all turned out wonderfully. She also is a very no-fuss baker, so the recipes don't take hours to make. Which is great, because let's be honest, who has hours to waste? No one. This recipe is just another success story from her kitchen and although I made a few tiny tweaks, the genius is all hers. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Anyway, this bread is delicious. I've been really good lately with giving away almost all of my baked goods and was in the mood to make something for myself. But since I'm trying to eat more healthy, I didn't want it to be too decadent. This recipe really fit my requirements. It also freezes beautifully, so I sliced it up, wrapped each slice in cling wrap, and then put all of the individual packets in a freezer bag. In the morning, I can take one out and just pop it into the microwave or a toaster oven. That allows me to really monitor my intake and make sure I only have one piece per day and the bread doesn't go bad.

A few notes: I used three massive honeycrisp apples (which are by far the most delicious apples ever) and they were plenty juicy and the bread was full of apples. If you are using a smaller apple, I'd suggest using 4. I used all whole wheat flour and it worked great, but you could do half whole wheat and half regular if you so desire. Because the bread has whole wheat flour and tons of apples, it isn't overly sweet so it makes a great breakfast or would go amazingly well with an afternoon tea break. Enjoy!

Apple Spice Crumb Bread
recipe adapted from here

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cup all-purpose flour (whole wheat can be used too.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 medium sized apples - peeled and cored. 2 of them chopped and 2 grated.

crumb topping
1/8 cup flour
1/8 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter- cut into small bits

I started by mixing together the dry ingredients in the crumb topping and then cut in the butter.
Basically, I just use two knifes and cut the butter until the pieces are roughly the size of peas. Set the mix aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugars until smooth.
Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Add to the sugar mixture and stir. Add the buttermilk and mix until smooth. I just used a spatula for two reasons. One, I was lazy and didn't want to get more dishes dirty (which a hand mixer would have done). Two, breads shouldn't be over mixed, which is nearly impossible to do with a spatula.
Peel and core your apples. Chop up two and add to the bowl. Shred the next two and add to the bowl. (If you only use three like me, I chopped two and shred one and it worked well). Fold the apples into the batter. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top.
Bake at 350 for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Cool for about 15 minutes in the pan, and then completely on a rack.
Slice and enjoy! This piece was an end piece, so you can really see the crumb topping, but it's there and delicious. I always save the top for the last few bites because it's so tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Our world is one of uncertainty, and yet there are a few things that we may declare with absolute confidence. First, honeycrisp apples beat the ever-loving sh-- . . . I mean . . . "vitamin C" out of any other apple you can think of. And second, anything our dear blogger bakes is pure golden deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on the apple front! And thanks for the vote of confidence boo. I do love my baking!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!