Monday, October 8, 2012

Just for the Hal-i-but

Har har. I know. I'm hilarious. This dish was the main course at the birthday I mentioned on Friday. I very rarely make fish. Not because I don't like it. It's just more expensive and frankly it makes me nervous. Because I hardly make it, I don't really feel comfortable cooking it. I don't feel comfortable cooking it, so I rarely make it. A vicious circle I know. Anyway, since this evening was my mom's birthday, fish was a must because it's her favorite. My brother had some halibut already on hand, so I just needed to come up with the method of cooking. This recipe was initially one that my mom used for swordfish, but it was incredible on halibut. It would work on any meaty and hearty fish, but not something that's light. It has major flavor, so it needs a fish to stand up to the punch it packs. The fish turned out so well, I actually wanted to have it again a few weeks later. I do like fish, but I never crave it. I do with this recipe.

Halibut or Swordfish with Spice Rub and Tomato Compote
recipe from my mom

Compote:
1 pound fresh plum tomatoes (about 6)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

For fish: 
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon celery salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Two 8-ounce swordfish steaks or halibut (can cook more too, just eyeball it)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

I have to make the same apology as I did on Friday. I have terribly few pictures. Join me in slapping my blogger wrist.

I started by mixing together the salt, white pepper, cumin, paprika, celery salt, garlic powder, and ground nutmeg in a small tupperware. I was making some of these things ahead of time so they needed to be portable.


I also made the tomato compote ahead of time. I started by boiling a pot of water and adding the tomatoes for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. You don't want them to cook, it just loosens the skin. Put the tomatoes in ice water to stop any cooking. Then remove the skins and the inside seeds. Chop up the remaining tomato pieces. Heat up the olive oil and add the garlic. Cook for about a minute, then add the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes for 3 minutes or until they are just tender. Turn off the heat and add the vinegar. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.

When you are ready to cook, rub both sides of the halibut with the spice mixture. Press it in firmly and generous. Grill fish. Once cooked, spoon all of the compote on top of the fish.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!