Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

Usually when I use the phrase "breakfast of champions" I'm referring to dessert. Pie, cake, you name it. My dad taught me early on that when there was dessert leftover after a special day, it was meant for breakfast. Clearly. While I'm still a firm believer in this tradition, I will grudgingly recognize that on days when I have class, a healthier breakfast may work better. The jury is still out. But in the meantime, I've found a breakfast that fills me up for hours and provides a nice alternative to the traditional cereal or yogurt. Because, really, you can only have cereal or yogurt so many times before you'd rather pull out your hair.

I've seen lots of similar recipes for this breakfast floating around online, so feel free to make it your own and adapt it to your needs. I personally think the fruit is a must, but you are welcome to use raisins and nuts if that floats your breakfast boat. Enjoy!

Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal

1/2 cup oats (tradition, not instant or quick-cooking)
2 tablespoons chia seeds (available at Whole Foods, Nuggets, or stores that carry specialty items)
1 cup milk (regular or soy)
dash of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I eyeball it and just do a few dashes)
2 teaspoons brown sugar (or more depending on your sweet tooth)
fruit of your choice

Combine all of your ingredients in a small container. You want it to be airtight and have a lid. So any sort of jar or tupperware works splendidly.
I generally make mine the night before and stick it in the fridge. Then the next morning the oats are soft and the seeds have puffed up and you have a thick porridge. The first time I made it, I didn't use berries and it was fine, just a little bland. You can also heat yours up, you just might need to add a tiny bit more milk.
So the next time I tried strawberries and it was just perfect. Raspberries and blueberries have also been fabulous. Especially on mornings when getting up feels more like a chore, it's really nice to have a slightly special breakfast to look forward to! It also travels really well if you'd prefer to have yours for a later breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!