Monday, October 1, 2012

Peachy Keen

I found this recipe online and I've actually made it twice. The first time was sort of spontaneous. I had three peaches from the farmers' market, had friends coming over for dinner, and remembered this recipe I pinned online. Then, this weekend, my family was having a large dinner with family and friends and I made it again. I have a couple of notes. First, use small peaches. In order to get the peaches into a ramekin, you need a small peach. The first time I made this dessert, the peaches were MASSIVE and I had to cut them down. Even then, they kind of perched on top of the containers. Second, the presentation of these little guys is just adorable, but the consumption goes much smoother if you just pop them out on to a plate. The pictures below are from my first try but I'll make some notations as I go along to include what I learned the second time.

Individual Peach Pies
recipe from here

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/teaspoon salt
1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
1/4 cup ice water

3 ripe peaches
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon. cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

milk/sugar for brushing/sprinkling

I started by whisking together the flour and salt. Then I added the cubes of butter and using two knives, cut in the butter until the clumps were like corn meal. I slowly added the ice water and using a fork, mixed until dough formed. The second time I made the dough, I had access to my mom's food processor and it was so much easier. If you are lucky enough to have one of these amazing machines, processor the flour and salt together for a few pulses, then add the butter and combine. With the machine running, pour the water through the spout until the dough forms. Either way, once the dough forms, flatten it into a disk and wrap in wax or parchment paper and put in the fridge for an hour.

While the dough is chilling, mix the sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl.
Then, cut the peaches in half, remove the pits and scrape out some of the tougher flesh. If your peaches are huge, you can slice off some of the inside to make them fit.
Pack the center of the peaches with the brown sugar mixture and press it down firmly.
After an hour, roll out the dough and using a knife cut out circles. Wrap the dough around the two peach halves and place in ramekins or muffin tins. You want the fit to be snug so the peach halves don't separate, but you also don't want them as high up as the peach on the left. Ideally the peach would be farther down in the ramekin. Using a pastry brush, brush milk on the top of the dough and sprinkle lightly with white sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown at 425 degrees. The small peaches actually took longer because more of the peach was covered. Bring out of the oven and serve with vanilla ice cream on top or separate. Enjoy! I certainly did both times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!