Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner Series: Tri-Color Vegetable Saute

I had some friends over for dinner last week and thought that dinner provided the perfect opportunity to try this dish. My mom raved about it and it seemed like a good dinner for busy weeknights. I served it with chicken and some bread for a big meal, but it would be great by itself for a vegetarian or someone who is just trying to be healthy. The leftovers are fantastic cold and it makes a lot, so there are plenty of leftovers for lunches and dinners. The combination of ingredients sounds a little weird, but it's delicious! I should also mention it is super quick and makes use of fresh ingredients during the summer, which is always nice!

Tri-Color Vegetable Saute
recipe from here

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen sweet soybeans (edamame), shelled
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

I should mention that I was really distracted while making this dinner because I was chatting. So I took very few pictures, I'm sorry!!! It's really hard to cook, carry on a conversation and remember to snap pictures. But here was my method: I started by chopping the onion and garlic. I also sliced the tomatoes and cut the corn off the cob. I heated up the oil and then cooked the onions for a few minutes. I added the garlic and cooked for another thirty seconds or so. Then I added the soy beans and cooked for about five minutes until thawed. Then I added the corn and cooked for about 3 more minutes.

I added the tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes and cooked for about five minutes until the tomatoes were soft, but still retained shape. Then I added the basil and lime juice, turned off the heat, and stirred. This picture is actually of leftovers. The colors of bleed and muted a bit, but right after cooking they are bright and fresh. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!