Friday, September 28, 2012

Blueberry Cobbler with Biscuit Topping

I made this dessert the other night for my mom's birthday. She loves desserts that aren't too heavy and have berries, so this seemed to be just right. I made a little error. I didn't really measure the lemon juice and put it way too much. So it was pretty tart. I still loved it and I'm pretty sure my mom did too, but it wasn't quite what I expected and my four year-old niece wasn't a huge fan. So I'd really encourage you to measure your lemon! It was still delicious and the biscuit topping was especially tasty. It held up really nicely to the mushy fruit and wasn't too heavy at all. The dish was also crazy simple to make. It took just a few minutes to pull together and then it just cooled while we ate dinner. I will definitely make it again soon before all the blueberries are gone.

Blueberry Cobbler with Biscuit Topping
recipe from here

1 1/2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. crème fraîche or sour cream
6 cups fresh blueberries (about 2 lb.)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest


I started by washing and drying the blueberries. Then I combined them with one cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until the blueberries are evenly coated. Word of advice, measure your lemon juice!
Then, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the butter and using your fingers pinch the butter and the flour mixture until the butter is roughly the size of peas. Add the crème fraîche and mix gently until combined. Knead a few times in the bowl until a dough forms. Tear apart the dough into tablespoon-size pieces and scatter on top.

Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. I used a pie dish because the 8x8 inch dish was dirty, but technically that's what the recipe called for. Let cool for about an hour and serve on it's own or with ice cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!