Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Pop of Color in the Entry

Member several weeks ago I mentioned two presents? Well, I have had so much to discuss lately I am just now getting around to sharing the other present. My mom picked up this adorable little cabinet for me at a local store. I can't remember the name of the store, I will find it this weekend and share it then. I am going to find a cool antique hook to hang on the left hand side for a coat. So this space is still a work in progress. I'm not worried above covering the lights with my coat because I hardly ever use them. Right around the corner are all the kitchen and living room lights and I use those way more.


This picture doesn't really do justice to the complexity of the texture and the color. The shop owner uses a technique called chalk painting. My mom took a class and I'm going to need to look into it more. As you can  maybe see from the light switch, I decided to hang it up in the entryway. You can see in the picture below the knots and details of the wood come through the paint.


Even though my entry way is small, the profile of the cabinet is so narrow it really doesn't block the walking space.


My favorite part of the cabinet is all of the hidden storage. There is a little half wall next to my front door and it was a perma-disaster. Even though I had a hook for my keys and a plate for trinkets, it was a total mess. This allows me to keep the things I use often close, but out of sight. Let's be honest, no matter how functional, lint rollers are not pretty.


My dad helped me hang the cabinet. I am able to hang a lot myself, but this thing was just too big and too heavy. He used really large wall anchors and big screws to attach the L brackets to the wall. Then we put the cabinet on top of the brackets and use small screws to make sure the cabinet doesn't move around. And now I use it ALL OF THE TIME. Seriously, every day. Now I can't wait to find the right hook to complete the entryway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!