Thursday, August 2, 2012

What a Load of Crock (Pot)!

When I was little I thought crock pots were nasty. Mostly because I had this misconception in my mind that you could only cook super unhealthy, sticky, thick, two-day-old-looking food in them. I'm not sure where that idea came from (cough, mom, cough), but I've since reevaluated my position. Especially this last year when I'd return home from class at 7:30 completely starving and not willing to wait for dinner to cook. What better than having your meal all ready for you on the counter? NOTHING. So I convinced fiance that we really needed one a few months ago and this week we finally pulled the trigger. Of course, we are still doing long distance next year and damned if he gets a crock pot and I don't! So we got the cheapest programmable one we could find at Target and once in California, I'm going to get our more long-term crock. Then, when I move back, we'll give this one to a friend or family member. But, in the meantime, we needed to give this baby a test run. I found this recipe on pinterest and it looked great and pretty easy, so it was perfect for our first crock experience. The meal was absolutely delicious and very easy and healthy. We will be making this dinner again!

Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken
recipe from here

1 pound Boneless chicken breast meat, sliced into tenders
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 cup Honey
½ cups Low Sodium Soy Sauce
¼ cups Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
½ cups Diced Onion
¼ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (optional, no thank you for me)
2 teaspoons Cornstarch
6 teaspoons Water
Sesame Seeds, For Garnish

I also used two large heads of broccoli and one cup UNCOOKED quinoa.

First, fiance sliced up the chicken knowing my intense dislike of raw chicken.
Then I sprinkled a bunch of pepper and salt and tossed around the chicken.
In a separate bowl, I stirred together all of the sauce ingredients.
Then poured the sauce over the top of the chicken.
Here is our lovely new toy. We cooked the chicken for about 2.5 hours on high, or 4.5 hours on low.
Once the chicken is about done, mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
Remove the chicken and cut up into bite-sized chunks.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir to thicken slightly.
Meanwhile, I cooked the quinoa and steamed the broccoli. Initially, I planned to serve the broccoli on the side, but fiance suggested including it all in one big bowl and it was a brilliant idea. It tasted like a big bowl of stir fry.
Add some sesame seeds on top for flair and enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. CROCK POT!!! Okay, your next endeavor needs to be something that you literally don't touch until eatin' time. I have a pin board called "Party like a crock star" that has some good recipes, but there are so many crock pot blogs and they are so helpful!! Happy crocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, the problem is it's been so hot I've been avoiding soups of any kind. But, I may or may not have already scoped out your board and checked out a ton of blogs :).

      Delete
  2. The crock pot has been in the apartment for a few weeks now, and I'm just not sure what to do with it. This dish was really good, but the chicken didn't cook very evenly and we had to mix it up a bit to get it all to cook through (defeating the whole fire-and-forget concept). I need to check out some of these recipes, though, because the crock pot idea is still attractive to me.

    I am open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up next we are trying pulled pork. We will see how it goes!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!