Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Best Deviled Eggs Ever

No but really. They are. Fiance and I are sort of obsessed with deviled eggs and get them all the time at restaurants. Without a doubt, these are our favorites. Slight caveat however- if you don't like the taste of bacon (or turkey bacon), don't bother with this recipe. If you do, whip these up now. You can thank me later.

Deviled Eggs

6 eggs
¼ C finely grated sharp cheddar, plus more for garnish
¼ C light mayonnaise
2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, plus 2 tsp rendered bacon fat reserved (I used 3 slices turkey bacon)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Hot sauce, such as Sriracha, to garnish (optional)

Start by placing the eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the pot, then holding them in a towel, give them a crack and drop them into ice water. While the eggs are cooking and cooling, cook the bacon in a skillet. If you are using turkey bacon, you won't have quite enough grease, but it's totally enough. So reserve all of it and put it in a bowl. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP (I know it sounds a little gross because it's grease, but just do it!).

Once they have cooled completely, slice in half and put the yolks in the bowl with the grease.
 If possible, have a ridiculous and cute cat sitting in your cabinet while you are peeling the eggs.
Add the cheddar, mayo and chopped bacon to the bowl. Vigorously mix with a spatula until smooth. Using a small spoon, scoop the mix into the eggs.
Top with a few reserved crumbles of bacon and a few dots of hot sauce, like sriracha, if you want. I personally avoid the hot sauce. So insanely delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever put plain yellow mustard in your deviled eggs? I'm not a fan of mustard on ANYTHING else, but I love it in my deviled eggs. It gives them a nice kick/bite. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Well actually I usually use Dijon, but I thought I would give this recipe a try without making any changes. Given the amazing bacon flavor, I don't know I'd mess with it! But if I was to make traditional eggs, I would definitely use mustard!

      Delete
  2. These are unreal delicious, and surprisingly easy to make. I highly recommend the sriracha -- I added more than just a few drops after our dear blogger added this picture. I even convinced her to taste a bit of it, but she wasn't a fan. Oh well. Progress towards spice tolerance may be slow, but it continues all the same.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!