Monday, August 6, 2012

Tavern Burgers

I made this recipe a few weeks ago, other posts just got in the way! This meal was probably the fastest dish I've made in a very long time, which is almost always such a compliment. The flavor of the meat was great and there are tons of ways to personalize the dinner to your own desires. For example, I loaded mine with mustard and pickles, fiance went the onions, pickles, mustard and ketchup route. Then for leftovers, he melted cheese on top and made his own Philly Cheese Steak. We probably would have included tomatoes and lettuce if I kept a well-stocked fridge. Next time, I am going to leave a little liquid in the pan, I thought my meat was a bit too dry. I also might scoop some of the inside of the roll out. The ratio of meat to bread was a bit off. But overall, this dinner was super delicious and one we will definitely be making again!

Tavern Burgers
recipe from here
1 T. oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chicken broth
1 t. paprika
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 t. mustard
4 hamburger buns, split
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 dill pickle, sliced (or several if you are me and just love pickles)

Start by heating up your oil then adding your beef. Cook until browned.
Add the chicken broth, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
Continue cooking the meat, at about medium-low heat until almost all of the liquid was absorbed. I went a little past this point in the picture and next time won't!
While the meat was cooking, I also made Brussels Sprouts. I thought they would go with the tavern theme. I started by browning the halves in a little oil, then pour in a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar and a dash of chicken broth and cover. Steam for about five minutes, or until tender, and plate.
I decided to use whole wheat Italian rolls. Next time I'm going to scrap out some of the bread. I think the meat would stay in place better if there is a little shallow ditch, but also a better ratio. Anyway, I spread mustard on the bread.
Added the beef, onion and pickles...
And we enjoyed. As you can see, I had almost as many pickles slices on my sandwich as I did beef. It was delicious!

3 comments:

  1. The title may say "Tavern Burger," but make no mistake -- this is 75% of a recipe for a delicious homemade cheesesteak. I ate one Tavern Burger, then took my second, added a bunch of cheese, more onions, more spicy mustard, and had myself an amazing cheesesteak. Do it up.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!