Monday, August 20, 2012

Chocolate Cream Pie

I made this dessert last weekend for a dinner gathering. I wanted something sweet and chocolatey, but didn't feel much like cakes or cupcakes. Rare for me, I know. And I wanted to try something new. This recipe had been on my pinterest board for a while and seemed to fit the bill. The dessert process hit a few bumps in the road, namely the grocery store not carrying the kind of cookie I needed. So the end product wasn't as clean and glamorous as I would like. But it was delicious. Incredibly rich, so cut small pieces! Also, the pudding in the center was to die for, so if you want a super easy dessert, you could make the pudding, put it in small dishes, top with whip cream and enjoy on its own.

Chocolate Cream Pie
recipe from here

32 chocolate wafer cookies (such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers, enough for 1 1/3 cups cookie crumbs)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 cup sugar, divided
6 tablespoons melted butter, plus 2 tbsp. butter cut into small cubes
6 large egg yolks
3 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped, plus more for grating over pie
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whipping cream


So here was the problem. They didn't have these cookies. No where in the store could they be found. I didn't really know what to do, so I found another "wafer" type of cookie and crossed my fingers that it would be ok.









These were the kind I used instead. Thinking back to it now, I should have used oreos and scooped out some of the cream. But oh well. The pie actually turned out alright.











To start, I put the wafers in a quisinart and chopped until fine. Then I did the same thing with the sugar and almonds. Don't pulse too much or they turn into almond butter. I melted 6 tablespoons of butter and added it to the crumbled cookies and almonds. I pressed the cookie mix into a pie dish and baked at 350 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, I started the custard. Fiance did most of the stirring during this part, so it's helpful to have an extra set of hands. I started by separating the eggs and beating the egg yolks slightly, then setting aside. In the saucepan, we stirred together the milk, 3/4 sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring this mixture to a gentle simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and stir until it begins to thicken. Take 1/2 of this mixture and slowly pour into the bowl with the yolks. Whisk constantly to temper the yolks, otherwise you will get scrambled eggs! Once the milk is stirred into the yolks, add the mixture back into the sauce pan and stir until simmering and nice and thick (like the picture above). As you can imagine, these steps move quickly, so I couldn't really snap pictures.

Remove the pan from heat, add the vanilla, chocolate and 2 tbs. remaining butter. Sorry about the blurry picture! I guess I didn't notice! Stir until the chocolate is melted and incorporated. If you just wanted the pudding, this step would be your last.
If you want the whole pie, pour the pudding over the cookie shell. Mine was too thick and not high enough, so the pudding came over the top. Whoops. I blame it on the cookies. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the top, pressing it onto the chocolate to prevent a seal from forming. Put in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
When you are ready to serve, mix together the cream and remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until stiff peaks form.
I think I needed to refrigerate my pie longer. And have a thinner crust that supported the pudding more. Oops.









This piece was the cleanest cut I could manage. Not going to win any beauty pageants, that's for sure. But it was delicious!









I hope you enjoyed this post! If you would like to see more recipes like this one, head over to my new blog at withamour.com

1 comment:

  1. So, I love chocolate and I absolutely love rich desserts. Our baking-inclined author and I often disagree over the texture and density of the perfect chocolate cake -- I prefer flourless and decadent while she prefers lighter and more cakey. So when I tell you that this dessert was SO rich, SO decadent, and SO delicious that even I could not finish my slice... you'll get the point. Not for the faint of heart, but absolutely amazing. This is not your average "chocolate pudding" from the grocery store (though we like that stuff, too). Make this and you'll turn some heads.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!