Monday, July 2, 2012

For-My-Motivation-Only Post

I've been feeling pretty burnt out lately. Between a craaaaaaazy quarter, an insane month of travel, and a death in the family, all I've been in the mood for is nothing. Like sitting on the couch, watching shows and baseball and doing nothing-type of nothing. But as I've learned, the world doesn't always take into account your desires. As a result, MAJOR apartment repairs and thunderstorms that took away power and internet were the themes of this past week. I'll be honest. I had a few days of major self-pity. I wasn't pleased.

But on Saturday, bf and I made the best of the situation and decided to go adventuring to escape the heat. We had a great lunch at the Union Street Public House in Old Town Alexandria and then visited Old Christ Church. I've been wanting to go there forever because wandering through a super old graveyard and sitting in George Washington's pew is my idea of a good time. I had several moments of what I affectionately called history-nerd brain explosions. They go something like this in my head. "Wow, I wonder if the wood on the floor of this pew is original? That means George Washington walked on this wood. I'm walking on the same wood as George Washington!" and a brain explosion ensues. Feel free to call me a nerd. Anyway, here are a few pictures of our adventure.

From the General's pew.

Where Winston Churchill (not the cat variety) sat in G.W.'s pew
So the weekend ended quite nicely, but it was busy. And now I'm trying to muster up the motivation to start working tomorrow. I've got loads I want to accomplish this summer and there is no time like the present. So, sometimes, when all else fails, I focus on what I've done thus far and tell myself "it would be a shame to waste all of that effort". That's where I am at currently. I decided to make a list of all the books I had to read this past academic year. Not because I had forgotten, but I thought it might make me feel motivated to see all of the titles in one place. I'll let you know if it works. But in the meantime, here is my list. Comment as you see fit.


Alfred Crosby, Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900

Patricia Seed, Ceremonies of Possession

Inga Clendinnen, Ambivalent Conquests: Maya and Spaniard in Yucatan, 1517-1570

David J. Weber, The Spanish Frontier in North America: The Brief Edition

Ned Blackhawk, Violence over the Land: Indians and Empires in the Early American West

Richard White, The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815

Edmund S. Morgan, American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia

Lois Green Carr, Russell R. Menard, and Lorena Walsh, Robert Cole's World: Agriculture and Society in Early Maryland

William Cronon, Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England

John J. McCusker and Russell R. Menard, The Economy of British America, 1607-1789

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, A Midwife’s Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812

Patricia Bonomi, Under the Cope of Heaven: Religion, Society, and Politics in Colonial America

Robert A. Gross, The Minutemen and Their World

Sylvia R. Frey, Water from the Rock: Black Resistance in a Revolutionary Age

Gordon S. Wood, The Radicalism of the American Revolution

Peter Silver, Our Savage Neighbors: How Indian War Transformed Early America

Verena Martinez - Alier, Marriage, Class and Colour in Nineteenth -Century Cuba

Alfred Cave, The Pequot War

George Fredrickson, Racism

Daniel Martinez Ho-Sang, Racial Propositions

Laura Gomez, Manifest Destinies: The Making OF the Mexican American Race

Matthew Fry Jacobson, Whiteness OF A Different Color

Scott Kurashige, The Shifting Grounds Of Race

Leon F. Litwack, Trouble In Mind

Stephen Steinberg, Race Relations

Thomas Sugrue, Not even Past

John Sweet, Bodies Politic

Loic Wacquant, Urban Outcasts

Novick, Peter. That Noble Dream: The "Objectivity Question" and the American Historical Profession

Kuhn, Thomas S. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Haskell, Thomas. The Emergence of Professional Social Science

Popper, Karl. The Poverty of Historicism

Davis, Natalie Zemon. The Return of Martin Guerre

Ginzburg, Carlo. The Cheese and the Worms

Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher. A Midwife's Tale

Diamond, Jared. Guns, Germs, and Steel

Findlay, Ronald and Kevin H. O'Rourke. Power and Plenty

Pomeranz, Kenneth. The Great Divergence

Ferguson, Niall. Virtual History

Clendinnen, Inga. Ambivalent Conquests

Demos, John. The Unredeemed Captive

Schama, Simon. Dead Certainties

Reed, Annette Gordon. The Hemingses of Monticello

The editors of Lingua Franca, eds. The Sokal Hoax: The Sham that Shook the Academy

Evans, Richard. Lying about Hitler

Bloch, Marc. The Historian's Craft

Maier, Charles. The Unmasterable Past

Judith Ann Carney, Black Rice: The African Origins of Rice Cultivation in the Americas

David Hancock, Citizens of the World: London Merchants and the Integration of the British Atlantic Community, 1735-1785

Robin Law, Ouidah:  The Social History of a West African Slaving “Port” 1727-1892

Jane Mangan, Trading Roles: Gender, Ethnicity, and the Urban Economy in Colonial Potosi

Cathy Matson, Merchants and Empire: Trading in Colonial New York

Sidney Mintz, Sweetness and Power:  The Place of Sugar in Modern History

Marcy Norton, Sacred Gifts, Profane, Pleasures: A History of Tobacco and Chocolate in the Atlantic World

Londa Schiebinger, Plants and Empire: Colonial Bioprospecting in the Atlantic World

Stephanie Smallwood, Saltwater Slavery: A Middle Passage from Africa to American Diaspora

Daniel Usner, Indians, Settlers, and Slaves in a Frontier Exchange Economy

J. Vann, The Making of a State

J. Brewer, The Sinews of Power

R. Porter, The Enlightenment

J.G.A. Pocock, The Machiavellian Moment

K.M. Baker, Inventing the French Revolution

J. Habermas, The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere

T. Blanning, The Culture of Power and the Power of Culture

P. Spierenburg, The Spectacle of Suffering: Executions and the Evolution of Repression

J. De Vries, The Industrious Revolution

As I've come to the end of my list, I do have a few notes worth adding. I don't have one of my syllabus for a seminar, so there are about 10 more that need to be added. As well as countless articles. And if I'm being totally honest, I must say, some of the books I skimmed. So feel free to count those as half if you wish.







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!