Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Blueberry Cream Pie

I found this recipe on one of my favorite blogs a while back and decided it would be perfect for a hot summer's night. I've been trying to keep the baking at a minimum this summer unless I have a good excuse. A full pie for two people really isn't necessary right now. But, having some overnight guests provided just the opportunity to try this recipe and end up with less leftovers. I thought it was delicious! A great alternative to regular pie, and very easy. I used store bought dough because I don't have a large quisinart here and it worked fine. Although I will say that I think I overcooked my pie a bit. Don't get me wrong, it tasted great, but the blueberries started to explode inside, so inside of nice creamy white insides with pops of blueberry, it was all purple and the crust was a bit...crunchy. Notes to self for next time! Also, I loved it cold because it really brought out the cream flavor, but fiance insists hot would be better. I think it would be too runny. But it's up to you.

Blueberry Cream Pie
recipe from here

for the crust:
1 stick of cold, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 cup ice water plus more if needed

for the filling:
3 cups of fresh blueberries.
1 cup of heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon

Keep in mind I made this pie during that period when I had no light. So pictures are a bit wonky. First, I placed the pie in pan and creased the edges using my fingers.
After poking the sides and bottom with a fork, I added the blueberries. Washed and patted dry of course.
I mixed the filling ingredients in a small bowl and poured over the top. I think next time, I'd be very strict about 3 cups blueberries, I might have used too many. I'd also whisk the mix a bit better so it stays on top.
I baked the pie for about 45 minutes at 400. I think 35 would be better. Let the pie cool completely then put in the fridge overnight. Or, you can freeze it for two hours, fridge it for one and enjoy!
When you take the pie out of the oven the center will be very jiggly. That's ok, it firms up nicely in the center after being in the fridge. We had ours with some whipped cream and it was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. This was actually better on the second day -- it firmed up a bit more and was definitely tasty cold (not hot). Overall, it was tasty, but not something I'd ask for again. There are so many other great things to do with blueberries... I'd rather our adventurous baker-phenom blogger try something new than go back to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New baking dishes? I guess if you twist my arm :) I am always up for new baking dishes!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!