Monday, June 25, 2012

Hoisting the Flag of Imitation

I know I've been absent lately. It feels like forever that I've written a post. Two weeks ago I attended a wedding. One week ago I attended a family trip to celebrate an anniversary. Two days ago, I attended a funeral. And somewhere in there I finished my first year of graduate school and Winston and I moved to DC to spend the summer researching and adventuring with bf. I can't wait to get back to cooking and I'll be posting regularly soon. But right now, I wanted to share a few thoughts that stuck in my mind from the last few days.

1. Driving along US-15 through Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York one goes by about 1 million antique stores. I'm dying to make the trip again and this time stop whenever I squeal "antiques!" instead of just driving on by. There are also about 1 million adult entertainment stores. I'm less interested in visiting those places of business.

2. It's amazing how fast your body adapts to dry heat. And how much it resists the re-introduction to humidity.

3. After 7 hours in the car, I get really hyper. I'm not usually a high-energy person, but after sitting still for so long, you can find me skipping down the street. (No exaggeration).

4. I don't like bugs, but they like me. Particularly mosquitoes. How I managed to escape the weekend with only one bite is a miracle.

5. Winston is over me traveling so much. No really. He's done with it. The fuzzy picture is courtesy of my phone, but you get the idea.

6. No matter how many questions I asked, there is so much I didn't get to know about my grandfather. His life was amazing and I wish I had had more time.

7. Weighing in at a hefty 87 pounds, my grandmother is the toughest person I know. She makes the rest of the family look like a bunch of big blubbering babies. She also asks the most direct and hilarious questions.

8. Until the very last moment my grandfather was the definition of politeness, respect and goodness. He never complained, always said please and thank you, and was kind to everyone. He was a once-in-a-century kind of soul. One part of the service on Saturday talked about how the best way to pay tribute to his life is through imitation. I know I won't ever come close, but this weekend sure made me want to try.

1 comment:

  1. Caption: "perpetual, constant cat obstacle finding a way to be *in* the way."

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!