Tuesday, May 29, 2012

That Weekend in Which I Went Crazy with Cakes

Yesterday was my birthday. I really missed my bf. But all in all, it was a pretty darn good weekend even if he wasn't with me. My mom and I attended a cooking class (I'll write about that later this week), I had a big family dinner on Saturday, had brunch with my parents yesterday morning, treated myself to a massage yesterday, and my beloved Giants gave me a win yesterday. As you all know I've been bemoaning my lack of baking time lately. I really made up for it with a vengeance. I didn't do any work on Saturday and pretty much baked all day. It was such a luxury and really the best gift I could have given myself. Since my brother's birthday is exactly one week before mine and my niece's is the day after that, we did a big dinner for all three of us on Saturday. I had been wanting to try a new cake (also coming this week), but in observance of tradition, I had to make my brother his favorite Sour Cream Chocolate Cake. This cake is actually quite simple to make, but a word of warning: this cake is not for the ambivalent chocolate consumer. It is insanely rich. The cake is actually quite moist, it's the chocolate. It's amazing. But so beyond decadent. If you love chocolate you must try this recipe, but don't tell me I didn't warn you when you can't finish your piece.

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
 1 cup water
¾ cup sour cream
¼ cup butter, room temperature
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted

Frosting (makes a lot- may half the recipe, or make the whole thing and use the extra on cupcakes, I'd suggest vanilla)
½ cup butter
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sour cream ( do not use non-fat sour cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Start by greasing and flouring two 9 inch pans. I would also recommend you use parchment paper. So grease the pan, lay down the parchment circle, grease the parchment and then flour.
Put all of the ingredients in a bowl. At once. Mix for about 30 seconds at low speed and scrape down the side. Mix for another minute or so, or until just combined. Do not over mix, this recipe is just like brownies and you really don't want to over stir.
Put the cakes into the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove when a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly. Do not over cook. Let the cakes cool for about ten minutes in the pans, then remove them and let cool completely on cooling racks.
When the cake is cooled, melted together the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes. Then put the chocolate in a bowl and add the sour cream and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix again until combined.
Put a large amount of frosting on top of the first layer. Use a lot of frosting in the middle. Trust me.
Finish frosting the cake. Use a lot of frosting on the top because you won't be able to use much on the sides. The frosting is rather runny (and is supposed to be) so you can't pile up a thick layer. That's ok, you don't need it. Leave the cake at room temperature or put it in the fridge. I personally like it cold better, but it's totally up to you.
Here are my cakes. Ridiculous I know.
Here is the inside of the cake. Not the most attractive of pictures, I know. The cake had started to sag in the front as I cut it into pieces, but it demonstrates how moist and gooey this bad boy is. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It's a damn good thing I was not around while *this* was going on. The chocolate cake looks and sounds amazing. I am bookmarking this post and entitling it: "For my Birthday, PLZ, KTHX."

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!