Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup

I've been wanting to share some dinner recipes lately, but my creations have been falling seriously flat. But it hasn't been my fault, I swear. I made two different recipes where the recipe just kind of sucked. And it was super disappointing because usually these sources are great. I'm going to share one of them later this week, I've tweaked all of the proportions and amounts and I think I've transformed it into something great. This recipe also needed a bit of tweaking. With my tweaks, it would be quite delicious. It was actually very tasty the day after once the tomato flavor had a chance to sink it, but could be a bit better. Anyway, because I didn't love the recipe initially, I'm not comfortable making this meal a "Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner" meal. But it's worth trying anyway.

Tomato Basil Soup
recipe adapted from here
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups prechopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (the recipe called for fire-roasted, but you know my wussy taste buds!)
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 can tomato sauce (not a jar of marina, but the canned sauce- this is my addition)
1 cup 1% low-fat milk (the recipe initially called for 2 cups and no tomato sauce, but the tomato flavor could have been increased)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, the initial recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon, I thought it needed more)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

 So I started by chopping the onion and garlic. I cooked the onion in about a tablespoon of olive oil for three minutes or so, and then added the garlic and cooked for another minute. You want the onion to be tender.
 While the onion was cooking, I chopped the basil and then added it and the can of tomatoes to the pot. If you are following my recipe, at this point I'd also add the tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Add the cream cheese and stir until it's melted into the soup.
 Next, pour the soup into a blender and puree, or use a blender do-hickey like the one I have. I have no idea what it's called after all of this time.
Pour in the milk and add the salt and pepper and mix. Cook for a few minutes until hot.
Ladle the soup into bowls, top with extra basil and enjoy with crusty bread.

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to have a bowl of this soup during a visit to YS's place. I thought it was very good, though definitely a bit lacking in flavor as mentioned in the post. I also found it to be very filling, which I didn't think it would be in advance. Combine this with some crusty bread or oyster crackers on a cold day, and it would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!