Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mon Amour

I need to apologize for these abysmal night pictures. I was just so excited to share my new piece I couldn't wait another day to photograph!

Hey look at that, I'm working on my French. It's going slowly. Good news is my piece of art inspires me to greater levels of diligence.

 I don't remember how I stumbled onto this shop on etsy. But I did, and I was immediately drawn to this print for a few reasons. I love how light and colorful it is without screaming at you from across the room. It's rare to find color, yet subtle art. The second reason is, I'm obsessed with Paris. Especially vintage Paris. Picture 1920's (which is the inspiration for this picture), old fashioned jazz, dancing, etc. Feel free to roll your eyes at my obnoxious sentimentalism and blurry-eyed romantic nature. I will join you.
While I was waiting for the print to arrive, I picked up this cheap from from Ikea. It works perfectly because I didn't want anything to upstage my new art.
The print arrived yesterday (oh happy day!) and I immediately got it into my frame. It will go up as part of a project I'm working on now and hoping to complete later this week or this weekend. Stay tuned. And in the mean time, enjoy the little shops pictured in my print and wistfully imagine yourselves strolling along the charming little streets in Paris. Oh, and whisper to yourself "must learn French, must learn French"......

4 comments:

  1. One night, a friend and I lingered too long in a Parisian cafe off boulevard Saint-Germain, and found ourselves stranded half a city away from our respective arrondissements by a closed Metro. We could have hailed a cab, I suppose, but the wine and his apparently unending pack of gauloise drove us toward another option, far wiser. Pooling together a sad looking pile of crumpled euros, we convinced the waiter to sell us a bottle of table wine for the road, and set out upon the least efficient walk imaginable down the oldest and most confusing Parisian streets we could find.

    Most of Paris is well organized, clear and easy to traverse. Haussmann's renovations did their job - slicing huge boulevards through the tangle of side streets that once gripped the city, making armed revolt only slightly less inevitable in the process. We avoided boulevards like Parisians avoid the consequences of a diet high in saturated fat - effortlessly and inexplicably. We wandered past ancient churches you'll never see on a postcard, stumbled over cobblestones that might have carried nazis and princes alike, and waved stupidly at boulangers rising to start their day.

    I can't tell you, exactly, what made that walk so memorable. Or what gives that city it's intoxicating personality. But Hemingway wasn't kidding - it stays with you. A movable goddamned feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dan-

      You are truly a hilarious man. I love your comments. They truly bring sunshine to my day. Oh, and I need to go to Paris, pronto.

      Delete
  2. Dan Theveny, everyone. He's here all week. That is, unless he dies of alcohol poisoning or awesomeness before then.

    I can't even follow that up. Speechless.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!