Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Family Spaghetti Recipe

This recipe is one I've made so many times I've lost count. I am pretty sure I shared it once on my old blog but didn't carry it over when I switched, so I thought I would share it again. This recipe is hands down the best spaghetti I've ever tried. It is what comes to mind when I think of a warm, home cooked, comforting meal. Other benefits: it makes a massive pot of sauce, which can be used for lasagna, sloppy joes, or frozen for future use. All work wonderfully. You can also substitute turkey for the ground meat if you prefer. It's incredibly easy to make, but does need to simmer for at least an hour, so it doesn't qualify under my cheap and easy weeknight dinner series. Every time I make it, bf always says "this is so amazing, I forget how much I love it. It's definitely better than last time". If that's any indication, this recipe is a winner.

Spaghetti Sauce

2 lbs. Ground beef- lean
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small can tomato paste
2 jars Spaghetti sauce (Prego, Ragu, whatever your preference)
1 28 ounce can tomatoes (either whole or crushed)
1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 large carrot, cut into three pieces.
¼ cup (or more) of good red wine
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tablespoons Oregano
1 tablespoon Basil
1 teaspoon Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 lb spaghetti noodles or Penne Pasta
Parmesan cheese

First, brown the meat. While the meat is browning, chop the onion, pepper and garlic. Once it's completely brown like so, drain the meat in a strainer to get out the excess fat. Let the meat drain for a bit while you continue.
 In the same pot (don't rinse it out, you want all that meat flavor!), cook the onion, pepper and garlic until tender.
 Once tender, add everything, including the meat, into the pot.
Simmer for about an hour. Visit every so often to stir and make sure the bottom isn't burning. If you are anything like me, once you get the pot simmering, you'll want to go wash out your white shirt that you are inevitably wearing and stained with tomato splatters. Luckily if you get to them right away usually it's not permanent.
After about 40 minutes, get your pasta water boiling. Cook your pasta and serve with a massive pile of sauce and a sprinkling of cheese. (Keep the carrot in the pot because it soaks up extra acidity, but be careful not to serve it in a bowl). Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who has even the slightest inclination towards cooking should have a great spaghetti sauce recipe in their arsenal. This one qualifies as "great" and then some. It's awesome on pasta, it's awesome in lasagna, and it's perfect in the freezer too. I sometimes suffer from eating too-acidic foods, and for some reason the carrot trick seems to work. I once tried to find out why, but the Fountain of All Scientific Knowledge (aka internet) did not have a satisfactory, logical answer. Oh well, who cares! Just do it!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!