Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Brunch: Cinnamon Rolls

I guess this post is a few days behind, but I am so excited to share the recipe with you now. It rapidly became a family favorite and I'm sure will be utilized over and over again for holidays and special occasions. As cinnamon rolls go, this recipe is really easy and relatively quick (90 minutes start to finish). No letting things sit or rise over night and the browned butter really adds a great depth of flavor. Added side bonus: the house could not have smelled any better.

Brown Butter Cinnamon Rolls
recipe from here

dough:
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 egg

filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

frosting:
2 tablespoons softened butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
2-3 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it.)

I started by warming up the milk in a sauce pan and then adding the butter. I stirred until the butter was melted and incorporated. Then I set the mixture aside.
 In a large bowl, I mixed together the yeast, sugar, salt and 2 1/4 cup of flour. Then I added the water, egg and milk mixture and mixed well with a hand beater.
 Next, I started adding the additional flour, about 1/4 of a cup at a time. Using a wooden spoon, I stirred the additional flour into the dough. You wanted to keep stirring for quite some time because it might seem like the dough is ready, but then it will get pretty sticky again. I needed to add about 1 1/4 cups more of flour until the dough looked like this.
I turned the dough out onto a floured surface and kneaded for a few minutes until the dough was soft and when I pushed it with a finger it bounced back. I put a cloth over the dough and let it sit for about ten minutes while I prepared the next few steps.
In a small bowl, I mixed together the brown sugar and the cinnamon. I also microwaved the butter for about 3 minutes, until it just started to turn golden brown. You definitely want to make sure the top is secure or you will end up with a major mess.
Next, using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle. Next time I'd roll mine out a bit more so that the dough is a bit thinner and easier to roll up. But really I have no complaints, the result was amazing.
Then, I brushed a generous amount of the butter onto the dough and poured the brown sugar mix onto the dough. Press the sugar mix into the dough so it sticks when you roll up the dough.
Take a deep breath and start to roll. As you can see, the center of my roll probably needed to be rolled out a bit. Use a dab of the melted butter to help seal the edges.
 Slice the roll into roughly equal pieces, I ended up with ten. You might want to grease the pan. I didn't and the rolls initially came out really easily, but when the rolls cooled it because a little more difficult to get them out.
 Brush the top with additional butter and cover for 30 minutes. Place in a warm place and let rise.
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.











While the cinnamon rolls are baking, mix together the frosting with a hand beater. Depending on how runny you want the frosting to be, frost the rolls either right out of the oven or wait for a few minutes. I waited for a few minutes and my frosting remained pretty thick. But I think they'd be amazing with runnier frosting as well. Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. This post makes me angry because I'm not eating one of these cinnamon rolls right now. Normally I'm okay with just writing something like "this looks great! Can't wait to try it!" But not on this one. No way. I am angry. Want it NOW.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!