Monday, April 16, 2012

Dining Nook Shelf Project

I've been wanting to tackle the wall in the dining nook for quite some time. Originally it seemed like the only decoration that would look right was a really large piece of art. Unfortunately, that kind of investment is sort of out of the cards right now and I didn't want to settle for bare walls. Then, the other day, I was watching a design show on HGTV and I saw a bedroom makeover with a large shelf and a collection of art. I thought it was such a neat way to utilize a collection of pieces in a layer way, that still looks polished. I thought I might give it a try. I put a piece of painters' tape on the wall for about a week to make sure the shelf concept was appealing and then went for it.

 I started by picking up these two wooden brackets and a basic white wall shelf at the home depot. Initially, I went to Ikea, but they didn't have what I wanted and it turns out the same thing  was 1/2 the price at Home Depot.
 When I got home, I sprayed the brackets with two coats of primer and then two coats of white spray paint. Usually, I don't use primer but since the wood was untreated and not the highest quality, I wanted to be safe. I didn't want any wood grain seeping through.
After extensive measuring, I drilled two holes in the wall for each bracket, inserted two wall hangers and then drilled in the screws. Somehow, I managed to turned my camera sideways and make these anchors crooked. They aren't.
 Once the screws were in the wall, I slipped the brackets onto the heads of the screws.
 See? Not crooked.
 Next, I laid the shelf on top of the brackets and noticed it was a bit wobbly. I didn't think it would go anywhere once the art was in place, but just to be sure, I slid a piece of double sided sticky stuff on top of each bracket and under the shelf.
 Then I started to play around with my art. It took me a while to figure out which combination I like best, but I think I finally settled on a good arrangement.
 Here is the left side.
 Here is the middle. Oh and by the way, the painting of the iris is older than I am and needs a non-seventiestastic frame, but that is still a work in progress.
Here is the right side.
And for those of you wondering, this picture shows the height above the dining room chairs. In an ideal world I'd probably put the shelf a few inches lower, but I wanted the chair to remain usable and I think it turned out just fine. I'm so exited to finally have something up in this room. Every time I'm sitting on the couch and turn around I'm surprised that there is something there! It's such a nice feeling to be happy with the project I waited so long to finish. I hope you like it too!













Here is the room. In fuzzy quality because I was lazy and didn't want to hook up my camera and sending a picture from my phone seemed much easier. Pardon the clutter on top of Winston's litter house. That space is in transition. But at the very least, the picture shows how the shelf nicely takes up the wall space. Although, in person I think it has a great deal more presence. It really jumps out at you which I failed to capture in this photo. Oh well, you'll have to take my word for it.

1 comment:

  1. As always, I'm very impressed with your craftsmanship. I still remember the first time we tried to use wall anchors back in that dingy, disgusting apartment building we lived in as undergraduates. This is a masterpiece compared to what we were doing back then!

    I also like the arrangement of artwork, except for the photograph in the center. I just think it's completely out of place. You have all of these vivid, somewhat abstract, very effusive images, and I think it really ruins the display to add droll, posed photo-realism into the very center.

    Everyone's an art critic, right?

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!