Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Challenge Accepted

This post is a little bit out of the ordinary. A couple of weeks ago my friend, we will call her Sam, asked if I was up for a challenge. I sort of thought she meant like find a good recipe. So I said sure, no problem. I did succeed, but the challenge was a bit more tricky than I expected. Sam asked me to find something she could make for a snack during long hours of studying that is healthy, quick to put together, and will keep her full for a while. But I said I would accept the challenge, and I was determined to achieve victory. Achieve it I did. It just took me a while. Initially I was quite stumped. But then, I remembered some good advice a different friend, we will call her Amanda, had given me. If there is a theme to this post, it's that very little of the creativity was from me.

So Amanda has been really into eating clean lately. Basically eating without preservatives or processing. I'm amazed she is sticking with it because the thought really overwhelms me. I think it's so awesome and I definitely don't have the willpower or determination to stick with it. But, I loved the breakfast idea she told me about and so I appropriated it for Sam. Hypothetical names of course. Technically this meal started as a breakfast. But, I've taken it to school as a snack. I tested it out in a Tupperware and it travels wonderfully. If I'm being completely honest, I should also say I've eaten for lunch and dinner. So, enjoy at any time of the day or night.

What You'll Need
1/2-1 cup of low-fat plain yogurt (not vanilla)
a few drizzles of honey or agave nectar (depends on how sweet you want it)
a handful of raw oats
berries or sliced fruit

Start with your yogurt in a bowl or container.
Add your agave and oats.
Then your fruit. I love some sort of berry and kiwi. The kiwi was Amanda's suggestion and it goes great with the tart yogurt. Seriously, I know that sounds weird, but it's so true. Trust me.
Mix together and enjoy! Mission accomplished!













P.S.- If you knew that the title was a reference to Barney from "How I Met Your Mother", you are super cool in my book.

1 comment:

  1. So, I took a look at the recipe and started thinking of a way to make fun of it being lame or girly or something. After all, I'm a guy... it's yogurt and fruit... I feel obligated to say something dumb and jerk-y about it. Then I looked at the picture of the final product, and... it looks pretty good.

    Now, about these hypothetical names. I'm thinking you've probably got some kind of cipher or other cryptographic mechanism in place to protect the real identities of these two individuals. I may have to devote the rest of my night to decoding this mystery. Where's Tom Hanks when you need him?

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!