Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring Pinterest Project

The Pinterest Challenge was the brainchild of Sherry and Katie. I love them. These two ladies make mornings slightly bearable. When the alarm goes off and I don't want to get up in the morning, which lets be honest is most mornings, I roll over, grab my phone and immediately read the morning posts of these two blogs. It's how I manage to keep my eyes open and not completely turn off the alarm and go back to bed. They started this project about a year ago and I started participating last time (I think). When they announced the newest installation, I immediately wanted to jump on board.

However, my winter school quarter ends next week. For those of you who are familiar with the quarter system, you'll know it's not always great. I love that I can squish in lots of classes and topics, but darn those quarters fly by fast! So as soon as I saw the announcement on their blogs, I immediately started brainstorming which project I wanted to tackle. I wanted it to be size-able enough that it meant something for a special pinterest project. However, a massive re-do or gigantic undertaking wasn't going to happen.

I've been thinking for the past week or so that I really needed to swap out my wreath for something new and springy. So I searched on pinterest and found this inspiration photo. It's so out of my usual box, but something really caught my eye. I love how sunny and happy it is! So despite the fact that it's a little intense, I decided to just go for it. I immediately ordered 144 ping-pong balls and headed out to Michael's to pick up glitter, yellow spray paint, ribbon and some fake flowers. (I already had modge podge).









 I started with a green foam base from Michael's and a can of Sun Yellow Krylon paint. A small note, next time I'd try and find a white foam base just so the color doesn't seep through the paint.
 After one coat of paint.
 After three coats of paint.
Then I flipped it over and made sure the insides and outsides were properly covered. I didn't care if the back wasn't 100% yellow because it wouldn't be seen anyway.
I let the base dry for about 24 hours then brought it inside and started preparing the ping-pong balls.
 I started with the outside ring. I put a tiny dab of hot glue on the ball and pressed it to the foam for a few seconds and then repeated. The next few layers went a bit more slowly because once the balls were off the table, I had to hold them in place until the glue hardened.
To finish the last ring of balls in the inside, I flipped the wreath over and glued them from the back. A quick tip: see the seam on the foam base? I started gluing each row just to one side of the seam so that if there was a gap in a row, all of the gaps would be in one place. I planned to have the ribbon in that section to cover the gap and the seam.
 All done gluing!
Then I took the wreath back outside and started spraying from the back. I gave the back side two coats, let it dry for about 8 hours, flipped over the wreath and gave the front side two coats. I let the wreath dry for about 12 hours and then brought it inside.




When I started the modge podge/glitter stage of this project, I began with just a small section that would be mostly covered by the ribbons, just in case I made a boo boo. Using a small foam brush, I painted on a bit of modge podge to each ball...
 The sprinkled my sparkles (say that three times fast!) onto the wet podge. After this initial section worked out well, I continued on. I also discovered a few things. I didn't need nearly as much modge as I usually initially and having a sparkle dispenser with small openings to facilitate sprinkling is awesome!
 See how when the modge podge dries it's invisible and you just see awesome sparkles?
 Working on the whole thing...
 Up close and personal...
And finally done! Once all the balls were glittered, I let the whole thing dry for a few hours then started with the ribbons.
 First, I hot glued to pieces of ribbon together to get a nice wide sash. Then I glued the ends together to make a ring (around the wreath). Once the glue was cool and solid, I found this little metal ring I had lying around and sewed it to the ribbons. I sewed through the part of the ribbon loops where it was glued just to enforce the bond. Oh and I know my sewing job isn't lovely but no one will see it so it's ok!
 Then I cut another piece of ribbon, fashioned a bow, and glued the bow onto the ribbon sash, just in front of the loop.
Then I hung up the wreath and started with the flowers. I cut off the long plastic/wire steps and placed a dab of hot glue on the base of the remaining stem. I tucked each step in the ribbon sash and allowed the glue to attach and dry to the ping pong balls.
All finished!!!! I love how the blue ribbon and the blue flowers really complement my door. And frankly, that really wasn't intentional. Just a happy coincidence!














Here is a side view to show a little more of the sparkle. I just loved how the wreath turned out! Although it took me a few days (mostly because of the drying time), this wreath really wasn't that hard. It was also very forgiving of any mistakes. My spray job was less than perfect and the glitter covered that right up!












I hope you enjoyed this post! If you would like to see more projects like one, head over to my new blog at withamour.com.

8 comments:

  1. This is so yellow... and purty.. and perfectly made. It reminds of me a wreath of billy balls. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Up close it has a few flaws, but nothing some glitter can't hide!

      Delete
  2. It's lemony and billy ballsy all in one! Great job!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS!!!! I've been looking for a fun spring wreath tutorial and I think this is it for sure! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's definitely worth the effort because it makes me smile everyday when I open my door. I hope it also brings you a smile every morning!

      Delete
  4. I am very impressed by your ability to so accurately recreate your inspiration picture. This is practically a mirror image of what you were shooting for, and that takes real artistic skill! As regards the aesthetic value of the wreath itself: no comment. It's good for hiding spiders, though, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are impressed. I procrastinated long enough on the spider that now I can't find it and literally go through a 12 step process to avoid my door as much as possible. Pretty hilarious.

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!