Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Restaurant Review: Bayou Bakery

As part of my Spring Break activities, bf and I have been exploring a few new places. Technically it's not confined to Spring Break and we've been in the adventure sort of mood lately, but since I'm here this week on vacation, I thought I'd share a few of my finds. Up first is Bayou Bakery. Located at 1515 North Courthouse Road, Arlington, VA, this coffee shop/cafe is one of a kind. I loved it's totally unique vibe and the fact that it couldn't be farther from a chain shop. No Starbucks sizes or specialty drinks to be found here. Not that I'm outright opposed to Starbucks, I'm a frequent visitor there as well, but a fun boutique store is always appreciated in my book. Bf was actually the one that found this place and since they had buttermilk biscuits, he figured I needed to give it a shot.
I intended to take a picture of my food before I started, but I was so excited to eat, I got to this point before I realized my camera was still in my purse. Oops. But here is my report: the tea and coffee were both excellent and on the strong side. The biscuits were large and hot, but a tiny bit dry, so the honey and apple butter really went nice. Bf said his breakfast sandwich was great.

The owner of the store was originally from New Orleans and apparently, he wanted to recreate a place that felt like home. While I've never been to New Orleans, it certainly fit the image I had in my mind. Bf has been and assured me it was quite authentic.
Just your average table decor.

















The shutters above the counter really added a realistic touch to the whole place. The place is homey and charming and so incredibly neat. The menu is also pretty large (not just breakfast, lunch and dinner too). I think it's the kind of place where you could order and sit and read and not be bothered for hours. So you can be assured I will go back again.

1 comment:

  1. For anyone in the DC Metro area, the real draw to Bayou is their home-made beignet, fried in-house all day, every day. We didn't get them during this trip because they're so very unhealthy, and I've only gotten them two times for that same reason... but if you've never been to New Orleans and had real nola-style beignet, you owe it to yourself to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!