Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I like to move it, move it...

Actually not really. Moving this furniture was actually sort of a pain. Especially because I was doing it by myself and totally on a whim. But I'm stubborn so I refused to give up.

Although I actually started moving furniture unexpectedly, I had been thinking about it for a while. I wasn't loving my bedroom. I loved the colors and linens and all of the pieces I have in the room, but they were just weren't fitting right. It was feeling too bulky next to my bed and my desk felt too pushed into a corner. When I was working, I felt like I was in trouble or had been banished from the rest of the apartment. Perhaps most importantly, it was so frustrating to have to walk all the way around my bed to get to my wardrobe. It didn't make any sense. So I started brainstorming how I could improve the lay out.

 Ok so, besides the crazy mess in this picture, this shows how the desk area looked before (minus the recent art).
 And here was the bed and the dresser. See how it loomed over the bed?
 My little helper getting into EVERYTHING I had to move.
Here is how the bed area looks now. I still need to make an upholstered headboard, hang some art near the chair, get a standing lamp for behind the chair, and get another large European pillow, but it's already such an improvement. So much lighter and the space feels so much less cramped.
Here is the desk area. From this perspective it's a little hard to tell, but there is space between the desk and the dresser and the drawers open nicely.
 This shot shows more of the space.
And another view to show you the walking space. It actually makes the space around the bed feel so much larger.
Perhaps most importantly, I found this plug when I moved the dresser. It is now behind the chair, but it is very accessible. This development will make bf really happy because he will have a plug on his side of the bed. Making my man happy is just a cherry on top!

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you moved all that stuff yourself without serious injury. Two things contribute to my surprise: (1) all of that stuff is bigger than you. (2) you are somewhat clumsy to start with, and the constantly roaming cat-obstacle is a continuous threat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true on the cat-obstacle and yes the furniture is quite large, but I am not clumsy! I move too fast. There is a difference. But you of all people should know the power of my stubbornness.

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!