Monday, March 5, 2012

Fried Pickles

In general, I've never been much of a fan of fried food. Or so I thought. My mom was always against it and my only real experiences were fast food. So I avoided it and thought everything was fine. A few years ago I was in the South and tried fried pickles on a whim and liked them. Then last year, I guess I was just in the mood and ordered them at a restaurant and they have not left my mind since. Seriously. I love them. More like obsessed with them because they are really hard to find. When I moved to California, I pretty much assumed that I would only have them when I visited DC. Let's face it, California isn't really known for it's deep fried, Southern comfort food.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into a restaurant a few months back and saw fried pickles on their happy hour menu. Unfortunately happy hour was only Monday-Friday, 4:30-6:40 PM. This day happened to be a Wednesday, but it was 7:30, so as much as I asked nicely, the pickles were a no go. I visited the restaurant again about a month later, but it was Sunday and this time my asking turned to begging, but still, no pickles were to be found.

So on Friday, bf was here and we were meeting my parents for dinner. I was determined to get my fried pickles. We got there before 6:30, ordered a plate and I waited eagerly with anticipation. Picture me doing a little excited-for-fried-pickles-dance in my chair. They arrived.....and they were ok. Not bad. But not great. It was a major letdown. Not because they were that bad, I had just been waiting for so damn long. After noticing my lack of over-the-top enthusiasm, bf suggested we try making them ourselves. The idea seemed foreign, but I wasn't sure why. I love to cook, why shouldn't I try fried pickles? Bf has some experience frying things, so he took the lead.

What You Will Need:

  • a few pickles
  • a small bowl of flour
  • a few shakes of salt and pepper
  • an egg
  • a few tablespoons of milk
  • about a cup of canola oil
I started by slicing up a few pickles. You want them to sit out a few minutes to dry off a bit.








In a small bowl, whisk together an egg and some milk.








In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and some salt and pepper.








 Pick up a pickle slice, drag it through the egg mix, then flip it a few times in the flour mix. Drop the slice again in the egg mixture and repeat the flipping in the flour.
If you have a little cooking buddy, do your best not to trip over him. It's harder than it sounds.
While you are preparing your pickle slices, heat up the canola oil to over 350 degrees. Drop several of the pickle slices into the oil and cook them for a few minutes. Then flip them over and cook for a few minutes on the other side.
 You want the batter to be nicely browned but not burnt.
Enjoy the slices with whatever topping you like, I am partial to ranch dressing. Seriously though, I'm not sure I will ever order pickles again. Making them was so much fun and they were so amazing. It really hit the spot and satisfied my pickle craving in a way the restaurant pickles totally failed to do.

1 comment:

  1. Deep frying myths: "you will definitely burn yourself beyond recognition if you try deep frying on your own, and you'll most likely burn down your house too, and don't even think about trying to fry anything without spending $100 on a deep fryer." All of this is bull. Yeah, some idiots do burn down their houses trying to deep fry turkey at Thanksgiving every year, but only because they're idiots. As long as you keep the oil away from the flame and as long as you don't introduce any water into the oil (water is what makes it "pop" and splash on you) then you'll be fine.

    Oh, and that part about not tripping over your cooking buddy? Yeah. My foot. His face. Angry meows. Sorry, little guy. But don't worry, dear readers. He is perfectly fine, at this very moment sunbathing like the spoiled prince that he is.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!